1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to join a dating website but not out

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by the3m, Aug 15, 2014.

1. the3m

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm only just about out to myself, but am worried about wasting the rest of my youth (late 20s). Do I -

1. Put my face on a dating website and hope that no-one I know stumbles across it?
    2. Not use a photo but send one individually to those who are interested?
    3. Do neither, since it's way too early to be even thinking about dating?

So confused, help would be appreciated.

2. HTBO

If you are just about to out yourself, maybe it would be better to wait to try online dating until you do that? If you do want to try online dating and are concerned about using photo, then I think sending them individually would be better. However, you may not get as many views or even responses without a picture. Most people want to see what you look like even before initially conversing. As for being concerned about someone you know coming across your photo, chances are that if they see it on the website, they are probably also on the website and are also gay. I don't think there's a high chance that someone not on the site will randomly see your picture somewhere. For your final question, from my experience, it may be too early to begin dating. I know it's something I really wanted when I came out, and even now I do, but I don't know if I'm 100% ready. I'm much more ready than when I came out 5 months ago. I found that after coming out, and after I was accepted, I had a lot of mixed feeling about myself being gay. On the one hand I was very happy and ready to join the LGBT community, but on the other hand, there were feelings that felt 'wrong'. I had to get over that, and try to normalize same-sex couples. It took some work, and a lot of exposure to other couples but it seems to have worked, that is not an issue any longer. Now the problem is more being scared of the unknown, and the only thing that will solve that is to get experience. But we're not talking about me, so I can leave that issue for another day :slight_smile: I wouldn't say don't try online dating, but don't have any expectations. If anything, go into it thinking this is an opportunity to meet people, and maybe make some friends. Practice flirting with men?? I've been doing online dating and I have met a few friends which have proven to be valuable in helping me learn how to integrate into the LGBT community. There's so much I didn't and still don't know.

3. robotman

I'm in the exact same situation as you but honestly I am really in a "I don't care mood" right now. I think I will just go for it and do it, I mean the only way people can find it is if they are searching for the same thing right? Also, I need to live my life and not worry about what other people thing. I think you should just go for it man!

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if you list yourself as gay, the only people who will see your profile are men looking for men. In the case that somebody recognizes you, they would have to out themselves in order to do anything with that info.

5. the3m

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks guys, really appreciate it!

robotman - good luck! Let me know how it goes.