1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get over a guy I never dated?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by sailormusic, Aug 15, 2014.

1. sailormusic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First of all, let me point out that I never get heartbroken over breakups. I'm over it almost immediately.

Well, I met this guy at college orientation. He lives up in northern West Virginia while I live down here where the college is located. We exchanged numbers and texted a lot. We flirted with each other a whole bunch. And honey, I mean a WHOLE bunch. After a bit, he told me that he has a boyfriend. A boyfriend that lives in South Dakota, whom he has never met. He told me that he has feelings for the both of us, and that his mind says one thing and his heart says something else. So, I told him to go with whatever he thinks is right. He chose the other guy, but said we can still be "gay best friends" and "cuddle buddies". For whatever reason, it hit me in a really big way. I wasn't even dating this guy and now I've been in a sad mood since then. This isn't like me at all.

I know the logical thing to do is to just forget about him, but I'm the only person he knows here and I don't wanna abandon him and seem like a douche. I still want to be his friend. We still text a lot and we plan on hanging out once he moves into the dorms. But on the other hand, everytime he mentions this guy or I see a Tweet or something about him, my stomach sinks and I feel upset again. Part of me wants to think that he still has feelings for me, but the other part wants to say that he's already moved on and sees me as nothing other than a classmate. How do I get over this and still maintain a friendship with him?

2. HTBO

Try being honest with him. Tell him how you feel and that you do want to be friends with him. Tell him you need a little break from him to work this out for yourself first. Whatever you do, don't be cuddle buddies, that will make it much worse. Also, don't try to wonder if he still has feelings for you or not, it doesn't matter because he is with the other guy (this is what you need to remind yourself to get over him). If you are unable to overcome these feelings, you may need to reconsider the friendship. I know you don't want to abandon him, but you need to take care of yourself.