1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Dislike My Race

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Robins Jacket, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Robins Jacket

Well I don't really dislike my race do much as the fact that no one can tell what I am. I am Filipino but nobody thinks I'm Asian because I have double eyelids like everyone else I know (Asian stereotype that they don't) and I'm not super short. Also because my dad is white and our last name sounds very very white (almost as white as Smith) and I've even had people ask me if I was adopted. Also, people have asked me if I was Indian, Native American, and there was this Vietnam war eternal at McDonalds who spent several years in the Philippines. He thought I was Mexican.
    It just really frustrated me that people look at me weird and I've done as much as I can to look one race or the other. I've tried using lighter skinned makeup and getting my hair cut and straightened (it's slightly wavy at the ends) an all ie succeeded in was my history teacher said my bangs make me look so Asian. That was actually slightly insulting because, at the time, I was totally fine with not looking a specific race so that's kind of what got me started on this. I felt like I'm not Asian enough and I live in an all white community so it's very hard for me to act normal because lots of people look at me weird. Anyone else Filipino and know what I'm talking about? Or anybody anything else and know what I'm talking about? How did it affect you? How did you fix it or get over it?
    All comments encouraged and appreciated! <3 xoxo

2. Candace

You should embrace what you are! There's no standard that you have to live by. What do you want to be? Don't listen to others telling you that you have to be this percent white and this percent Asian. Just ignore the stupid morons that ask and assume such things and love yourself for the man that you are. Remember that there is only one of you on this planet. :slight_smile:

3. Robins Jacket

I just get so frustrated with myself for not looking like..anything really. I wish I could be one of those blessed people who can blend in to a crowd.

4. Ivysaur

You should embrace it! I'm Vietnamese, but I have double eyelids and a natural tan. I feel like you don't dislike your race, but you just hate all the freaking stereotypes that go along with it. I've been told to get bangs to look more Asian, too, lol. I don't really pull of bangs, so I didn't. It doesn't help that I also live in a predominantly white community, but I just sorta roll along with it and know that in a few years, I can get the hell out of there. Just remember that you know you're Asian and that's all there is to it. They're thriving off of stereotypes which are more often than not, not true.

5. TabletopFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Growing up being surrounded by white kids, I had some racial-insecurities. But I suppose it was just a phase. Nowadays, I'm fine as an Asian lol. Eventhough the extended family tends to be a little behind in understanding LGBT rights, at least the food's great :slight_smile:

6. Fallenlunatic

Japan (a foreigner unfortunately. A lot harder)
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think I understand how you feel. I am a half filipina and Japanese.

When I was in the Philippines, most of the people I meet would talk to me in a foreign language. I understand English of course but I just feel like I'm a foreigner because I looked like a Japanese.

Now I'm in japan, people I meet would think that I am a Japanese so they talk to me in Japanese, but truth is I don't understand a single thing they say...

So yeah, I'm stuck with a foreigner face every where I go. But oh well, there's nothing we can do about that. Lol let's just say, at least we're unique? XD

7. Robins Jacket

Thank you for your comments, I didn't realize how many people felt the same. Love you guys so much! <3 xoxo