1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went to Pride yesterday...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Csp1993, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

As the title says, I went to a Pride festival/parade yesterday. If you read my previous posts, I mentioned how I wasn't sure how it would go considering the fact that my parents wanted to go too and I'm not out to them. I think it went fine. I'm sure they are suspicious of me; my mom asked why I wanted to go. I told her I just wanted to check out a new festival this year instead of the ones we usually go to.

I think she expected me to say, "Well, I'm gay." When I finally come out out I think saying I'm bisexual will be more of a shock than me saying I'm just gay. We'll see when the time comes. I have decided to not go with my parents again, unless I'm out or if they say they want to go. It's too hard to pretend I'm just a straight supporter. I talked to the two friends that I'm out to last night when I got home. The one that lives in NC too said she wanted to go, so next year I think we'll gather all our LGBTQ+ friends and go together. I think I would've had even more fun if I could've actually been myself.

I wanted to buy something that I could wear everyday or any day, so I could start being publicly out. I was going to get a t-shirt, but then I saw these cool rainbow bracelets. I felt better with that because I can wear it everyday. I would've gotten something bi related, but all they had was a ridiculously small bisexual flag sticker. Anyways, I think my rainbow bracelet will help anyway. If someone sees it and knows it's not just a rainbow and asks, "Are you gay?", I feel completely comfortable saying "Actually, I'm bisexual." It'll help me out so I don't have to bring it up myself or remember who to tell. If they're curious they can just ask! I do feel a little guilty for getting the bracelet though. I'm not just gay, so I don't feel entitled to wear it.

What do you guys think?

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that's a really nice idea.

The rainbow flag isn't just gay-pride - it's also a flag commonly used for LGBT-pride, which includes bisexuality. Still not specific, but hey, at least it's not entirely inaccurate. :grin:

3. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

That makes me feel better. I guess I just kind of assumed it was a specific gay or lesbian thing because bisexuality, pansexuality, transgender, etc. has their own flag, colors, and symbols.

4. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As I said before, they probably already suspect and might be waiting for you to actually admit it. Trust me, they won't take it hard. You have no idea what it was coming out to my mom which was anti-gay, that is much harder, but once you tell them it's better. I wish I was as lucky as you, but it's not all bad, I'm slowly changing her views on gays.