1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I make the first move?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MassiveExtract, Aug 19, 2014.

1. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Alright, so about 5 months ago I started going to the gym, normal, just to get in shape and look splendid. I've been faithful to it, minding my own business, but this guy who appears to be about 21 looked at me, then as soon as he saw I did the same, he looked away. He looks completely straight, but so do I so that's not saying much. I'm not into athletes, only intellectuals, but for some reason every time I look at him is like I can make an exception. He's not even that muscular which is a plus for me.

So I remember one day in the gym I was lifting some weights and I caught him looking at me with these eyes, you know these really lustful eyes, but when I looked at him he looked away so quickly I was chuckling. I couldn't tell if he felt uncomfortable, or something else. So, this whole thing has happened at least five other times. Hell, once, I saw him in the college campus, he always appears to be with his coach, not other athletes, which strikes me, but he looked at me and quickly looked away... again. This time I could tell that it was nerves, but I'm wondering if it was because of me. So about two months ago was the last time, until yesterday, when I saw him. I was talking with one my friends which is a girl and he looked at me, a bit serious, and then once again looked away when he noticed me looking at him.

And then yesterday I did something that I knew could help me. I had dark shades on, which made it impossible for me to make eye contact because you can't see my, well... eyes. He was passing through the hall and guess what? This time he kept looking at me without flinching or looking away (that was a first), but the funny thing is that there is no way he could have noticed I was looking at him.

I really want to get to know him, but I can't tell if he's nervous or not. I barely see him, so what's the best way to approach him without seeming odd or weird? I'm afraid he might actually think that I'm a gay creep or something, that would be embarrassing for me! I don't like anyone else in my gym, but this guy... he's just so different.

#1 MassiveExtract, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. offmychest

offmychest Guest

well it's hard to say. because it takes two people to stare at each other and sense there is no talking, you do not know why the other person is staring. this has happened to me before at the gym as well. you have two options.

1. keep wondering about this
    2. introduce yourself.

he will not approach you. if he was going to do that, he would have done it by now. if you are interested in him you have to be the first to approach. i will tell you what i did.

i was at the gym and this guy would always look at me and then look away as your guy does. i was not interested in this guy so i didn't care. but he would always do this. then i would see him at different places other than the gym and he would do the same thing. he worked at a mall that i went to a lot and sometimes i would see him while walking in the mall and he would stare and then look away. finally it started to get on my nerves since i do not like passive men and i believe if you are staring at me this much has the balls to say something or stop staring. so i saw him at the gym and he stared at me and looked away and this time i walked right up to him and introduce myself. i said, "hey, this is a bit random, but dont you work at the mall?" he acted like he was surprised that i came over to him and he said yes and was smiling. i said, ok, i thought so, i think i see you there sometimes and i noticed you worked out here too so just wanted to introduce myself since i keep seeing you everywhere. i smiled and said my name and he said his and smiled, and i told him to have a good work out and i went back to what i was doing. again, i was not interested in him so i didnt try and ask for his number or hang out with him. but now if i see him again, there's not all this weird staring. you have to be careful but i think you are ok. you say that noone knows your'e gay so its not like you're fem and this could be a hate-stare from him if he hates fem guys. so next time you see him just strike up conversation and see what happens.

common gym ploys that guys use to find a reason to talk to you:

1. joint use of the machine: "hey man, do you mind if i work on the machine with you?"
    2. the "helper dude" approach: "why are you lifting it this way, you're going to mess up your (fill in body part), you should lift like this....then he shows you correct format or the "do you need me to spot you dude" that randomly comes out the blue.
    3. random question dude..."hey how many sets do you have left?" or "were you about to use this machine?"
    4. need help dude: "hey can you spot me?", "hey im trying to build up my arms, what exercises are you doing for yours?" "what muscle does that exercise you're doing work out?" "do you know how to use xyz machine?"

5. undercover guy that's trying to find out if you're straight..."look at her a$$, she has a nice one doesn't she"

if he wants you, then it he will usually give you his number. usually guys that use the 'hey how often do you work out? let me know if you wanna work out sometime to keep each other on track..." then a phone number exchange happens.

---------- Post added 19th Aug 2014 at 06:34 PM ----------

if i were you, i would just say what's up to him when i walked passed "what's up man" "what's up dude" "what's up bro." and just smile slightly and keep it pushing. see how he responds. if he seems friendly or smile, keep it going. if he looks at you like "what the eff are you talking to me for" then leave him alone.

3. Emmanuella

The two aren't mutually exclusive, ya know? :icon_wink
    I say go for it! Make the first move...why not? Good luck :thumbsup: