1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doing so much for someone ungrateful

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by dano218, Aug 20, 2014.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A little more than week ago we invited two homeless friends to stay with us because they were homeless and could not find a place to stay so we invited them to say with us until they get money and they were going to stay until a week from now. Well one of them is one disability and the other one is retired so they were really struggling to survive so out of the goodness of our heart we decided to let them stay with me and my boyfriend. We pulled some strings with the landlord and even had complaints about noise but risked it because we are good of people.

Ok this guy who is on disability is a friend one of my boyfriend and pretty much lied about everything and we did not know about it all till now. He claimed to be rich man who had millions of dollars and was a college professor. Of course his retired brother in law who lives with him never knew about the lies he told us and now it is all coming out in our faces. He apparently been on disability since he was 26 for depression and anxiety and now he is 51. He basically has been living as a bum for most of his life and we knew none of this until now.

He has no sleep schedule, is a picky eater, throws temper tantrums which are not violent, and is very loud and so controlling over his retired older friend who is also diabetic. Every time a little stressful thing comes up he threatens to leave and packs all his things even though they would die because they have no gas or money for food until a week from now. We drove around for them, bought them food for them, found a apartment for them and did other nice things for them. But still he freaks out and threatens to leave with no care about the fact his friend is diabetic and could die from being homeless. They are in a life or death situation and despite us trying to to be good friends he still has no ability to be grateful or thankful for our help. They are gonna get their benefits a week from now and that is why we are ok with helping them.

We offered to help this guy on disability and now every time he is stressed he threatens to leave yet he is the one who took our offer to drive down here and find a place to live because the placed they moved had no apartments. Here is this guy who is retired and too good of a person to tell him to knock it off but he is respectful to us. And the most pathetic this guy has been relying on him who had a job since he was 26 and now he is 51. Please pray for our survival!

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rich men with millions of dollars usually don't have to beg for a place to live. They get a hotel room. :slight_smile:

Just so you know - they are now permanent residents at your place. They've found their latest meal ticket, and they won't leave until given a really good reason to. And that reason has to come from you.

Lex

3. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ^^^. The legal and financial implications alone of what you may potentially face are astounding enough. Don't let them stay too long, lest they become a legal permanent resident (depending on your state's laws).

4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No they knew they were not permanent residents to begin. We already helped find them a place to live and they have till the 1st of May to move. Yeah it was pretty obvious they lied about their situation before they came to us because they are not good at lying in person. It is a drama out of a movie and just craziness every day.

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2014 at 05:40 PM ----------

That won't happen. We gave them food and are helped them get situated in the community. We even found them a place to stay and they will be gone at the beginning of the month so everything well work out eventually.

5. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    if that c*nt wants to suffer out there let him. that leech doesn't deserve good people like you and your partner

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha thanks. We have found a apartment for them and they are gonna be gone soon. This 51 year old guy has obvious mental issues and is just a asshole when he can't handle stress and he can't handle it at all.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...May? You're giving them nine months to move out?

Lex

8. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No sorry I meant September 1st of this year. Sorry. We helped them get a place already cause they get money at that time.

9. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Erm... He has millions of dollars and didn't rent/buy a place?? And you believed him...

When you say "Threatens" did you mean he threatens you, that hes going to leave?? I don't understand.. I mean if I were in you're place, I would have said.. "ok"

I know you two are being nice.. But he lied..

10. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

No he threatens to leave with no care for his own safety being that he has not gas or money for food. He does not threaten us at all it is all about him being irrational and not caring his own safety. So even thought he drives us nuts we care more about his safety than him dying on the streets. Yes he lied about having a bunch of money and being a college professor but we knew that for months and he could not even lie while he was here about it and denied ever telling us any of that. It is annoying that he lied about being rich but for us personally it is a christian thing to do and we don't want them dying by our hands. They will be gone the 1st of September in their new apartment.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope you are actually right about their being out September 1at, but I am inclined to believe Lex based on past experience.

And Christian kindness does not extend to codependency. We lend people a hand, but lending a hand does not extend to being treated as a doormat. Boundaries in this sort of situation are challenging but necessary for your mental health.

I hope for your sake that Lex and I are both wrong about whether or not they actually move out.

12. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

I hate people who lie to me.. I've been used by "Friends" in the past.. I find it hard to trust people anymore..

13. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh Yeah they have to according to my landlord. If they don't go the landlord will kick them out and the police will be called if they still refuse. We are very strict about them leaving and we found them a place to live because they get their benefits at the end of this month and they are leaving for good.

They are in a lot of financial trouble but we cannot be evicted so they have to leave or else we too will be homeless. In a way we finally saw them for who they really are and now we know not to trust them with anything they say or do. It is a learning experience and dealing with someone with mental health issues and no ability to respect others is damaging to our own self esteem and mental health. This guy has multiple face book and obvious maniac depression and social anxiety. He goes from being calm to upset about every little thing. We even thought about taking him to a mental health facility but that is not our problem.

. We are glad we found them a place to live so we don't have to have the burden of them causing problems. Being helpful has it limits and we know that it is not up to us if they end up in a homeless shelter or anything like that. All we can do provide them shelter until they leave and anything that happens to them is on them. They are older adults who should be responsible and appreciative of others kindness and it is obvious they are just leeches who think things just can be handed to them without giving thanks to the people who help them. They are the ones who moved to Kentucky and wasted their money finding place and had no rational thinking of how to spend their time or money.

14. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You and your partner have good hearts, please don't let people like these two EVER cross your lives agian

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. We don't know what the future holds but as far as them staying at our place and taking advantage of us we will never ever let that happen again.

16. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another where he says he had enough and wants to leave. Well I am not even gonna stop him because you can help someone who cannot even help themselves.

17. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They left and are in their new place. What a learning experience and i know now never to trust them or help them out with anything. We risked alot to help them along with making nieghbors irritated and the landlord getting upset about it but at least we were not evicted. So hopefully in the coming weeks it will be water under the bridge.