1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rainbow Bracelet

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Rainbow Girl, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Rainbow Girl

I'm thinking of starting to wear my rainbow bracelet to school. For those of you who wear a rainbow bracelet or other pride apparel in your day to day life, do people notice and if so say anything to you/assume your LGBT?

2. GayDadStr8Marig

Sorry for the long-winded response below, I got started and just kept going. It's been a while since I've taken time to post much here and yours was the first post I came across tonight.

:icon_wink :eusa_doh:

I wear my bracelet to work every day. I've noticed some people notice it but I've never had anyone ask me about it or my personal life. I have a photo of me and my boyfriend on my desk that a number of people have noticed (I've seen the double-takes as they process the photo), and again no one has asked anything about that either.

On the one hand, I'm greatly relieved and encouraged that at least in my office being gay is essentially a non-issue and treated as irrelevant. After all, isn't that what we really want, to be just thought of the same as everyone else?

On the other hand, though, part of me is saddened in a way. Some of the people who have noticed the bracelet and/or photo know that I had a wife and that we have two children. I have to assume they do not want to pry into my personal business and avoid asking questions, like: are you divorced, do you still see the kids, is that your boyfriend, or anything?

There are a handful of people whom I interact with regularly whom I've come out directly and shared limited scope information about what happened. Only one guy was genuinely surprised. Everyone, though, whom I've come out to has been supportive and accepting.

The only exception to that of course is family to varying degrees, as can be expected. No surprise that my dad has changed in tone only, in comparison to when I came out at 18. The sentiments expressed have not changed (not agreeing with it, not understanding it, not accepting it, but loving me "despite" it). My sister claims to be happy that I'm happy yet rarely do we communicate and never reacts to anything on my social media.

My ex-wife and her family are processing things in their own ways. She is basically accepting of me for who I am but is uncomfortable with the whole gay-thing and wants to keep it from the kids as long as possible. Her parents accept that being gay is just who I am and it took me so long to accept it because of my past trauma with my parents and my upbringing. Her brother I do not know how he feels about me as a person, only that he is the protective big brother to her and doesn't like what I "did to her" at all. He has made numerous homophobic remarks in the past so I doubt we will ever have any relations in the future. I have no idea if I'll see his kids anytime, maybe once they're adults if they want to have contact with me. At this point none of the kids (ours or her brother's) know why we have divorced, though I suspect my son at least has some of the pieces of the puzzle even if he has no idea what the picture they should form looks like.

-Richard

3. Torias

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I actually wear two, one that reads 'Born This Way' and the other with the double male symbol. I work in retail in one of our major supermarkets. My co-workers know i'm gay and it isn't an issue with them, but some of the customers will occasionally look at it but never say anything.

Be careful when it comes to wearing it at school though. Not sure where you live but here, schools come down pretty hard if you stray outside the uniform policy. I'd probably seek clarification from your principal or school counsellor as to what your school's policy is before doing it.

4. Water lover

Water lover Guest

So being in high school from my experience it's not that bad (but I am closeted). My school is pretty strict about dress code and they have never really had any issues. Of course people will immediately question your sexuality but normal at my high school atleast it isn't taken any further than there. My highschool could defiantly be considered an exception though because as far as I know we only have one lgbt kid in it. That and when we had a straight gay alliance type thing about anti bulling we had a 97% student pledge rate it was kinda crazy for a little bit because everyone was wearing pride crap and there is only one lgbt kid at our school and she is only their half the day and not very many people know her. So I think if your open it would be fine to wear it.

5. Rainbow Girl

My school's dress is pretty loose and know a few other kids who wear rainbow bracelets. I'm more concerned about what other people will think about me if I'm wearing it.

6. Torias

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In that case i say go for it.

If you spend your life worrying about what other people think, you're going to be worried every day for the rest of your life. Life is too short to worry about 'what ifs'.

If you're still concerned however, i'd suggest talking to some of the other kids that wear them and see what their experiences have been like. Your profile says your out to about 30 people. Try letting those other kids know and they can support you. If all else fails, just remember the quote in your signature.

7. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

my school banned rainbow bracelets it was pretty cool and i'm still scared to wear one haha

8. black-cat

I wear a rainbow bracelet, I'm sure people see it though no one ever says anything.

I imagine it totally depends on your area and how people feel towards LGBTQ people, in some areas people may not even recognise the rainbow colours in relation to LGBTQ. Good luck :slight_smile:

9. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

how do you find the confidence to wear these bracelets, friends? i have worn mine out like four times and felt like a scared jackass each one....

10. HeatherFields

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wear two rainbow-coloured bracelets and rainbow shoelaces to school every day, and no one even looks twice. Well, my friend who knows I'm gay jyst figured out what the bracelets are indicating after I wore them for two weeks, so... I don't think they're very noticeable. Not many people stare at other's wrists. It would be a whole another thing if you wore a rainbow shirt or something :grin:

11. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have several bracelets but they are in the bi pride flag colours (Blue, purple and pink) which is nowhere near as well known as the rainbow symbol and so they don't really get noticed.

Happy days :slight_smile:

12. Emmanuella

I often wear rainbow bracelets in everyday life... people RARELY notice or comment on things. I've had maybe 3 mentions/comments.... 1 guy/co worker said "hey! a gay bracelet!" in kind of an excited tone. One female friend just commented that my bracelet looked like a pride bracelet. then another female friend (who is bi) asked if it was a pride bracelet/if I was gay or wtv....

13. Story Jinx

I have a rainbow bracelet, and a trans one, and nobody said anything.

14. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually just wear my Bi bracelet, I do have a rainbow one as well. A few people have said something "oh what is this for" and stuff like that and some LBGT people knew what is was for. But most likely, people won't say anything