1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling being comfortable in a relationship because of self esteem

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by IsThisAName, Aug 21, 2014.

1. IsThisAName

Ok so I haven't done a ton of dating. And when I have in the past, it was while I thought I was straight, and it was just a few dates with guys that never became anything serious. Now that I'm coming to terms with being gay I'm starting to talk to women/actually able to potentially date women that I'm interested in. Recently I've been talking to this really amazing, beautiful girl and I like her a lot and I know she likes me a lot too because we basically are in that awkward stage of not dating/not "just friends." We both have feelings for each other.

So here's the problem: first of all, I don't hate myself for being gay at all--I'm past the self-hatred stage of it all--but for some reason I'm have so much difficulty being comfortable with viewing myself as in a relationship. I think it's a self esteem issue, because I feel like I am always wondering how/why this girl or any girl would ever be interested in me the way that I am in them. Yet, I really like this girl a lot and she likes me a lot too. But I guess, for lack of a better way to put it, it's hard for me to accept someone else's love because something feels off about myself. I love girls, want to be married someday etc... so it's definitely not an asexual thing. I know for a fact it's just me being uncomfortable or something like that. Has anyone had this and do you know what I can do to help? :/

2. mrGhost

Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess it doesn't have to be self esteem issue - you're a human being, you deserve to love and to be loved (always remember this). I believe going further with a first serious relationship between people to another stage where you've never been before, it's just how it feels. It's normal to be a little scared to trust a new person in our life, just don't do this to yourself and do not let the fear overwhelm you and take away something that might have a beautiful outcome. You don't have to label anything for now either, it's not working like this "oh I like you, let's be in a relationship" "okay, cool". It takes a lot of time, and effort, to go there. If you know she has a thing for you, then talk to her about how you feel. Communication is the primary thing. Good luck!