1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic Stepdad?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Vaettfang, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Vaettfang

I was visiting my grandpa with my parents the other day and my grandpa mentioned that my stepdad's cousin Eddy had come out. My stepdad said "that's ****ing stupid, gays are ruining this goddamn world". I wanted to bash his bloody teeth in. That delays my plans of coming out by...
    FOREVER.
    Okay, forget this. I'm never leaving the closet.
    [​IMG]

2. Dakeli27

Yes. Love is what's ruining the world. Love and people who are *shudder* different.
    I don't know what to suggest with your stepfather. 13 is still young (you whippersnapper), and hopefully over time you'll get the confidence and/or opportunity to come out to him. Besides that, you could come out to people other than him (try talking with Eddy for support) and when your stepdad brings up LGBTQ+, argue with him. It might get him to lay off of you if he sees that this is important to you, even if you don't come out to him.

3. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try not to judge him based solely on his opinions. As your opinions are valid, so must you also respect the opinions of others that disagree with them, no matter how put off they may make you feel. Actions on the other hand are another matter. But if all your stepdad ever does is complain about gays then just ignore him. You've done nothing wrong so there's no reason to let his judgments have any affect on you. Ironically, the path to freedom from judgement only becomes visible to us when we learn ourselves to stop judging others.

4. ThePrideInside4

I know how you feel. Mine is the same way. Unfortunately, we cannot change their opinions. But we can stand up for ourselves if they are offending us.

5. Vaettfang

Thanks for all of these replies. I'd like to talk with Eddy, but he unfortunately lives far away. I can't go there myself, so that's a problem too. I'll just keep to myself for now, but I'll be sure to use this advice later. I really do love him and I respect him, but IMHO he's being a bigoted twat. :dry: