1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fear of using aeroplanes

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by mrGhost, Aug 24, 2014.

1. mrGhost

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey. So, tomorrow I have to travel back home using 3 aeroplanes. More or less 14 hours on board in total. I've chosen one of the safest and most famous (and most expensive, obviously) airlines to feel safe. My friend is trying to make me feel scared by saying stupid things, and he thinks it's very funny. It's my return flight. I have noone to talk to, and I could use some good words to cheer myself up. Anyone, please?

It's funny though. You might be a child, a grown up, or elder - fear is always there.

2. Gen

Gen

It will be over before you know it. I am a somewhat frequently flyer and sometimes I still feel slight anxiety depending on my mood, but you shouldn't feel any more in danger than when driving in a car, taking a train, or simply walking down the street in all honesty. With that length of time I would definitely consider bringing something to keep yourself busy, unless you are confident that you will be able to sleep through it. It might be a good idea to pick up some over-the-counter nausea medication if you don't have the strongest stomach.

Most importantly, it is important to get up and stretch your legs at least a few times throughout long flights. Blood clots are a very real danger when remaining seated in that position for the extent of long flights.

3. hip2hop

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah to be honest I am not a fan of flying either but it is the safest mode of transportation :grin:

If you are concerned throughout your flight you should bring activities for you to do to keep your mind occupied. You could watch the in flight movie, listen to music, bring a book, if you play video games you can do that too. Anything that you enjoy doing bring it with you. If you are able to sleep on the airplane great :slight_smile:

Another thing that may be helpful, when turbulence strikes, is to pretend you are on a roller coaster (I do this because I hate turbulence and it works) or on a ride of your choosing.

4. mrGhost

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks guys!

5. Dakeli27

...I think I'll keep my mouth shut about this one.

6. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know it's the supposedly the safest mode of transportation, but the more times I fly the more nervous I get. I flew a lot as a kid. I always feel as the number of times I fly increases that my luck is going to eventually run out.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been flying since I was three, and I would say that keeping yourself occupied is a good way to avoid stress.

8. starfish

Don't worry flying is the safest form of travel there. There are tens of thousands of flights everyday without incident.

The only thing I worry about when flying is if they run out of Coke Zero.

If you want do some research on how plans work and how they are built and tested. Modern airliners are amazing pieces of machinery. Though be careful if you start looking into it too much, you'll get hooked. Then you'll start talking getting your pilots license.

9. mrGhost

Out Status:
    Some people
  10. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    One thing I can say, if you're not sure you can stay completely calm, you might consider taking some over the counter Benadryl, It can make you sleepy as a side effect, and you can sleep peacefully through the whole flight. But beware, this can also make it difficult if you're changing planes. If so, forget the Benadryl. Your daze will make it difficult to find your next gate, and they might think you're drunk if you're still drowzee, then they wouldn't let you on board.
    Also, you should pick an aisle seat. (if possible) This is because you're not sitting right next to the window, and there's more space if you feel claustrophobic.

Just keep calm, and remember. These are professionals that worked very hard to get this job. Also, realize how many planes take of and land every day with no issue whatsoever. Good luck!

11. Richie.

I found hypnosis helped me a little remain calmer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=25FKNVikq4c

Search fear of flying hypnosis and listen to a few different videos

It's horrible but you will be fine millions and millions of flights happen a year and only a handful of incidentss. You will be fine!

If you can download the videos use an app on iOS search YouTube downloaded a few will pop up. Listen to nice relaxing music and focus on your breathe.

12. Candace

You know what they say. You're actually 200 times safer in an airplane than in a vehicle. Remember that in a plane, there are two pilots, but only one driver in a car. Much more accidents occur with cars than airlines. Remember that if something goes wrong with a plane, then the airline is in trouble and under fire, so you know that they have to have safety as one of their primary concerns, right?

13. mrGhost

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah ElPanaChevere, this thought about safety always helps me.

14. LastCenturian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting fact: you're more likely to be killed by a donkey than in an aeroplane.

I'm not a very good flier, myself as I tend to get bad motion sickness. That being said, my anti-motion sickness pills have a very fortunate habit of knocking me out so that I end up sleeping most of the flight.

15. Given To Fly

Hi mrGhost

Despite the great safety record it's normal to think "what if..." When flying. I used to hate flying, to the point where I'd be gripping the arm rests in a death grip during take off, and actually crying years of relief after landing...

I found what really helped me was to learn about how aircraft work - so when hearing strange noises on take off and landing, I had an idea what was actually happening. It also helped me to sit by a window, so I could see what is going on too.

If you can, try and get a seat with more legroom. Although many airlines charge extra for this these days. Luckily lots of aircraft have decent legroom anyway.

Like others have said try and take something to help pass the time - I always load up my iPad with movies or tv show episodes, just in case I can't find anything on the seat back screen.

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love flying* and have had the good fortune to do it many times. Never had a single issue. With cars, however, I've feared for my safety more than once and had been in a crash before I had my license for 3 years.

Fear of flying must be because it's a very unnatural thing for humans to do. We are used to slow speeds and being on the ground. With planes, both of those things go bye-bye and the fact that we are squishy mortals is highlighted. You just have to trust in physics, engineering, and the skill of the pilots until you're back down.

^^The last one is the hardest, but airlines don't just pull people out of McDonald's and deposit them in the cockpit. Those people have top-notch training to the point where flying is almost an art form.

*When I say I love flying, I mean either piloting the plane myself (I was allowed to on two occasions in a small craft and it was basically a religious experience) or the general idea of it. That doesn't mean that flying coach is pleasant. But it's not scary either way.

#16 Argentwing, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  17. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the reason that I have so much trouble is that I have had a couple of really close calls at small airports when the weather is bad. Also some mechanical failures where they had us brace "just in case" ...

18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When it comes to evaluations of safety with respect to modes of transportation, the numbers from this article tell the best story:

That's 0.0077 deaths per 100 million miles travelled...reassuring odds to say the least when you consider that it is 172 times more dangerous to be in a passenger vehicle...

19. mrGhost

Out Status:
    Some people
    Guys, you're sweet. Thank you a lot. I'm back in Europe, safe and sound!

Argentwing - yeah, I've actually survived a couple of crashes with a car. Although you know, if something goes wrong in the skies, you most likely won't survive it.

It wasn't my first flight, I fly once or twice a year, although I sometimes get anxious. What helped me a lot this time was an information that airlines I used (Lufthansa) didn't have any accident since 1993. I guess I'll just have to use the safest and most recognized airlines my entire life.