1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potential first date...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Rainbows~Exist, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Rainbows~Exist

I've been single for a while now and I've never actually dated a guy before and yesterday my friend offered to 'hook me up' with one of his gay friends. I've never met this guy before and I'm really nervous as to how he might think of me or if I'd like him but most of all I'm worried about the date being very awkward. Should I take up the offer? I know I'm socially inept around people who I don't know very well but this could be a chance for me to have my very first boyfriend and I wouldn't like to pass it up. Everyone's arranged a day out in town: me and this new guy, my friend and the person she likes, but I'm feeling kind of pressured into doing it. What should I do?

2. AKTodd

Go, but don't make the whole point of the day about trying to land a boyfriend. Make it about having fun on an outing with friends and treat it as an opportunity to get to know this guy as a potential friend. If you go into this feeling all sorts of pressure to get a BF you're just going to make yourself more nervous.

If you guys hit it off or you feel major chemistry between you, ask him out for another get together, just the two of you. Or, if it's more comfortable for you, see about arranging another group outing of some kind and make a point of including him. If you're having a good time in his company, let him know.

My 2c worth,

Todd

3. gutsrie

I'm socially awkward myself so I feel you on this one.

If it were me, I'd ask for your friend to hang out with you two or bring some more friends. That way, your friend can break the ice and it wouldn't be so weird just hanging out with alone with a stranger.

4. SunshineNY

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Why don't you do something like gutsrie is suggesting and have a small party or gathering or invite a few people round to watch a big sports game or the Emmys or something? That way you can meet first and get to know the guy without being thrown into the unknown.