1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rainbow bracelets, rings, and some ranting about age and clothes.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by shinji, Aug 27, 2014.

1. shinji

shinji Guest

Basically, what the title says. What is your opinion on rainbow bracelets and is there a certain age past which people should just not wear such stuff? I feel that I’m giving off too much of a “hetero” feeling and this together with the fact that I’m shy kind of ruins my chances on the “market”, so to speak.

Haven’t seen a lot/any guys wearing something similar but then again people here aren’t that open about their sexuality, guess we are still a bit behind in this matter. It’s not like I want to parade myself, just as a hint, plus I like the idea of wearing a bracelet with some substance to it (unlike those rubber ones stamped with product advertisements).

BONUS: Looking for a nice paracord design for a rainbow bracelet! o(^▽^)o

On a side note, I did manage to get my hands on quite a lot of color variations of paracord so I could actually go for something completely different, if only to make a fashion statement. Now that I think about it, is wearing a bracelet altogether, something only befitting young people, even if it’s not rainbow themed?

P.S. – Imagine a “hello kitty” themed bracelet, I do have the appropriate colors. That would look weird, right?

So… since I don’t want to make another thread, allow me to rant a bit about rings. So my mom (yes I still live with my parents, it’s free) is nagging me that I should get a gold ring. Firstly I welcomed the idea even though I’m not much into metal trinkets (always imagine them constricting me). Anyway, after some consideration, I’ve decided to actually do some research into the matter. Decided on a white gold ring with a precious stone, the problem is that I’m not sure what the stone should be.

Maybe a simple loop with not stone? To sort of catch the eye of people and be a potential conversation starter… but then again that would look like a wedding band and I’d like to avoid that.

Anyway, this is not important, what I’m curious about is if it’s acceptable (fashion wise) to wear a gold ring considering I dress… strange. Think, skinny jeans, slim fit shirts and sneakers. Would a ring look out of place?! Should I instead invest in more “sophisticated” clothing?! I don’t mean suits etc… I mean, like dress shoes, pants and maybe a dress shirt and vest or something, I don’t know. I’m kind of re-inventing myself after losing a ton of weight (122lbs in a year, my pride and joy whoopee!), changed my wardrobe completely and… I’m seriously getting off track here. (T_T)

So, precious stones! These are the ones I’ve considered – Amethysts, Alexandrite, Citrine, Apatite, Aquamarine, Topaz, Peridot, Smoky Quartz, Zircon, and the likes… Any opinion on what would go well on a gold ring, and not look too girly or pretentious?

My deepest apologies if this was not the correct place to ask for fashion advice. If it can be called that?! :confused:

2. black-cat

Try a "spinner ring". It might fit your style a bit more, and they come in a huge range of designs, with/without stones, and I have even seen some gay pride ones. You can get ones with wood in, pearl, engraved, etc. My mum has one will tiny little elephants on- I wish it fit me! (!)

Yes, I think it is acceptable for you to wear a ring even when you dress in a rather casual manner.

I think it is appropriate for all ages and styles to wear LGBTQ jewellery, but I think for it to look appropriate it has to vary. Some "classy" LGBTQ jewellery can still look beautiful.

Congratulations on loosing all that weight! That is incredible. :love:

I think Apatite is very pretty. I also love Lapis Lazuli, you seem to like blue colours so it may be worth checking it out.

3. Lucaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not familiar with rainbow bracelets, but my opinion on fashion and age is wear whatever the heck you want. If you do the style well and it matches your personality, you can rock it.

I like your Hello Kitty-themed bracelet idea. Talk about a conversation starter!

Back up a little, though...WHY does your mom think you should get a gold ring so badly? That seems like a really random thing to say to a relative. Was she trying to add to your look? What if she wants you to look married??

I'm terrible with gems...I don't remember what most of those look like without looking them up :frowning2: What kind of fashion addict am I?! OH a goth, right.

4. shinji

shinji Guest

You do make a good point, i should ask my mom about this... Seriously it's weird, she knows i don't like to wear useless trinkets.

About the bracelet, just recieved my paracords this morning. Tried making a one colored bracelet and it wound up a centimeter too short. Anyway, now i need to re-do it again as a model for the rainbow bracelet, to see where the strands will go.

As for the hello kitty bracelet, i was thinking of just doing it with white and bright pink pieces....it's kind of suggestive, right? But that will have to wait for when i finish my rainbow bracelet.

As for stones, basically anything that is transparent and... "gem-like"?! But yeah, today i went on a stroll in the city, when i saw the prices of silver rings (and those were without gemstones even...) i decided to scrap the idea.

5. Kimika

As for a paracord design for a rainbow bracelet, this is one that I had made. One thing that helped me was having something called a "Fid". It is is kind of a needle for paracord that has reverse screw threads n the bottom of it. the way you take advantage of the screw threads is you cut the paracord at an angle and burn/melt that end so you can screw it into the Fid.

https://imageshack.com/i/iqpgjNQGj

6. ThePrideInside4

Well, I wear a lot of handmade rainbow bracelets. I also wear one that's blue, pink, and white and it looks like transgender pride. I think Amethyst would look best on a gold ring. Amethyst has always been my favorite stone. I'd also suggest Carnelian, Florite (think I spelled it right), and Topaz of course! :grin: