1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After 18 years, I finally said no to my father.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Wuggums47, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

As a child my father psychologically abused me. The first time I confronted him on his abuse, he told me he was going to florida for a few weeks to console his grieving mother, who lost her boyfriend. As you can imagine he hasn't come back. But after a while he started to call me. I never wanted this, but I didn't know how to tell him to stop. I acted as if nothing had happened for a long time.

Years later I finally talked to him about it. He never used the term abuse, but he apologized for how he had treated me in the past. I thought I had made a lot of progress. Then he sued my mother for child support making the legal argument that he didn't believe I would ever graduate. I talked to him about it and he managed to turn himself in to the victim in all of this, saying he was powerless to stop his attorneys from putting that in the case. He told me that after this is over he would be forming a trust fund for me. He said that the fund would be for things I really needed, not for things like food and rent. I wondered what that meant, but I didn't question it. I didn't call bullshit.

The law was not in his favor though, the divorce decree was clear on what he had to pay. The case was pretty much laughed out of court, and my mom never even had to go to the court date, it had been cancelled. Then he fought to have the case brought in to court. It didn't succeed.

After all that, I finally decided that I had a sufficient excuse to cut him out of my life, something I had been waiting for for a long time. Every time I spoke to him on the phone I would feel terrified. But not anymore. I sent him the following email, and then blocked him on all electronic communications.

"Dad, recently you sued my mom and your legal argument was that I'm some no good bum who will never graduate. I have no clue why you would possibly think this is acceptable. Do you think the rules don't apply to you? You can try to justify it by saying it's just a tactic to hurt my mom, but who do you think took care of me when you ran away to florida? I was watching breaking bad a bit ago and I saw how Jesse's parents where taking away his house. I wondered what kind of parents would do something like that, and then I realized that's basically what you where trying to do. And now I'm done, I can't take it any more. I need space and suggest that you don't try to contact me again."

I'm not really sure why I'm sharing all of this, I just feel like I need to get it off my chest.