1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I prevent my nerves from ruining a new job interview ?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by stocking, Aug 29, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm going on a Job interview next week and I need some advice on how to handle it with my social anxiety please help ? Plus what are things I can do to land this job .:help:
    I'm planning and dressing professional with some make up but make natural looking ?

2. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

what kinda job?

probably obvious but: be prepared for tough questions. prethink some answers that show you either learn from mistakes or used another strength to balance an incident; like for example, a time you dealt with a stressful situation. a time you had to teach or assist someone. a time you disagreed with higher authority. a time you had to correct a mistake. etc. also make it sound like you are in there for the long haul, i dont care if it is a temp job you tell them you want to grow with the company and die there. also if it is a chain they will probably ask why yiu chose to work there. this is a shit question so prethink a good answer.

what helps me is bringing a folder with spare resumes and schedules and such, in case they misplace yours but mainly so i have something in my hands so i am not nerviusly fidgeting with them without realizing.

i hate saying this but if you arent feeling confident you have to fake it anyway

unless this is like mcdonalds or burger king which is basically "do you have a pulse? okay we will send off for background checks now we will call u back later"

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2014 at 08:11 PM ----------

also GOOD LUCk stocking, just in case i forget to reply right away!!!!!! : D

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's staples , thanks so much hun I'm going to try my best .

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

you got this!!! i dont know much about staples mo but emphasize that YOU ARE THERE FOREVER if it comes up, even if you dont mean it :> My current boss refuses to hire anyone that answers "short term or temporary" unless thats specific to the position.

5. sammy1

As for appearance..dressing professional is always the best way to go and I usually only wear the bear minimum for makeup (mascara) and as for helping u become less nervous..the more u research the company u are applying for the better ur chances will b of landing the job! :slight_smile: and the more u know the more prepared u will b for tough questions. I am finally getting better at interviews and it takes a lot of practice! And u can also look up interview questions and write ur answers down. That's what I do and sort of memorize it. I find reading the 'About' section on a companies web page is also helpful cuz it tell u all about where u r applying to and if the company does any charity work they like to hear that u know at least a bit about what the company does. I hope this helps and good luck! Oh if I didn't mention before I also get super nervous during interviews but the things that I have said helped me out a lot :slight_smile: oh and also they like to ask u to scenario questions a lot depending on the type of job u r going for and make sure u think of specific examples to give them

#5 sammy1, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you girls . :slight_smile:(*hug*)

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Practice beforehand, maybe with someone you trust but who knows something about the interview process, especially if they can be harsh. That way, when you get to the interview, it will seem like a piece of cake.

8. Really

My sister has gotten a job offer for every interview she's ever gone on. I asked her how and she said she didn't really want the jobs. So maybe the lesson is: treat the interview like a conversation about a job which you find fascinating but one that you're not worried about getting or not getting. My 2 cents.

9. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

^^

Yeah don't take it serious

10. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Practice.

And whenever I'm doing public or formal speaking, I find it's easier if I act like I'm king of the world rather than a shy teen (which I am). It gives a confident tone to my voice, but since I'm so timid I come off as collected rather than rude.