1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drinking my problems away

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MerBear, Sep 1, 2014.

1. MerBear

Okay, so the other day...my best friend basically broke my heart...basically I liked her and she said she liked too and I asked her out and she said yes, next day..I go over to her house...and I tried to kind of cuddle with her and hold her hand but to no avail then we went to sleep and we got close and we finally kissed and did some other stuff and then the next day...I asked her how did she know that it wasn't going to be like her ex girlfriend, because I had a feeling she didn't really like me and she said I don't know, said it felt awkward and I was upset because she was never going to say anytbing to me about it feeling awkward unless I had asked so anyway, I was hurt, she didn't care and so I decided, I was gong to have fun instead of moping around.

A lot of bad things have happened this summer and I couldn't take another thing going wrong so I went out to the country with my friend Chris and his friend Jeff. We went to the shooting range, we made a Bon fire, shot a duck, and knocked over a port a john or whatever you call. Then my friend Chris, gave me some moonshine and wine and I got so fucking wasted, and let me tell you, it was the best I have ever felt. I didn't feel anything. I didn't care about anything. Have you ever just not care anything? Its amazing

And this was on the anniversary on my moms death.

I'm losing everything in my life. I still have some moonshine left and wine so I'm good there, my question is when is it appropriate to I guess drink when you feel distressed?

2. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The short answer I will give right now, as someone that has already had issues with using substances to cope, is: Not too often that's for sure. People usually think they won't develop a dependency until it has already happened.

Just don't want to see you make a mistake that can be avoided. Feel free to message me if you like.

3. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Drinking acts as a depressant. It doesn't really make anything go away. It just puts off dealing with the feelings, and can lead to some bad situations. That's why I try not to drink at all when I am upset. It's far better to process the feelings and be able to be free of the burden for good than a temporary fix.

4. MerBear

The thing is, nothing else has worked. Nothing. Meditation, medication, reading, poetry talking with someone. Nothing except this has helped. I felt nothing for the first time. Absolutely nothing

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Drinking is a depressant, so It'll make things worse eventually. Alcohol does make you calmer at first, but when it becomes an addiction, that is a problem. I used to be in your position, and I regret it.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Drinking doesn't help your problems. If anything, it's like a pause button. It may keep you from noticing the problems while you're drunk, but once you sober up, the problems are still there. Of course, you can then just drink again, but then not only do you still have all your original problems, but you have "I'm drinking all the time" problems.

Best bet? Put on your armor, and go out and battle those dragons outside your door. Yes, it's scary as hell. But it's only by battling the dragons that you start getting on top of them.

Lex

7. HTBO

Part of the problem of drinking and feeling nothing is that you will come to crave that feeling nothing and will continue to turn to substances to find it. Eventually what you are using now won't be enough and you will need more. It isn't helping you or making you feel better. Feeling nothing isn't the solution because those feelings will still be there when you are sober, they won't go away. Maybe try talking to your doctor about trying different medication. Antidepressants work differently on each person and it's a matter of trial and error to find what works for you. That plus combination of therapy to help you deal with your feelings will help. If the therapist you had didn't work, try and find another one and keep an open mind. Substances are a band-aid solution only.

8. SeaSalt

Have you tried chocolate?

Studies have shown that Chocolate is a good Anti-depressant plus it tastes super nice. Just dont get fat if you dont want to, that has its own problems.

9. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

To tell you the truth I think you should just accept what is and understand some things you have no control over. Drinking is not going to fix your problems. Stand up to your problems. May I suggest seeing a therapist to help you cope better with what you're going through. My mom has this saying, people are in your life for a reason, a season and a lifetime. So please stop drinking and face your problems. I'm sorry if this pisses you off but I'm just trying to give you constructive critism. Anyway God Bless and have a great day.:slight_smile:

10. MerBear

I have faced my problems, I do every day. It's not like I drink every day but when I do, it's a relief . I had a therapist, never helped.

11. KayJay

I am sort of having a similar problem with the drinking. I have been drinking a lot lately and it is making me feel worse physically I think. It helps but only for a while, the next day you wake up with a hangover and your problems.

I also haven't had luck with therapists, perhaps you could take up some new hobbies? I have done that and it keeps my mind busy. The only problem for me is all of my hobbies are expensive!

12. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know the feeling. I've done it too with the alcohol, and drugs, and sometimes both at the same time (WHICH I DO NOT RECOMMEND, SO DO NOT TRY!) But I've found that music really helps me :slight_smile: Just getting completely drowned out by music. I even like to walk sometimes with my music. That helps quite a bit. Going out with people helps too sometimes. Although I couldn't do this one too often as I was trapped inside my house all the time. But maybe you could try out the music. Just blast it and jam out. It's a great stress reliever. You never know, it might work :slight_smile:

13. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

May I suggest that you try to listen to music, collect antiques or start to draw. I enjoy coin collecting and it soothes my thoughts. I myself am going through a battle within . I'm sorry if I sounded like an asshole earlier. It's okay to have feelings and wanting them to disappear. I've felt like that before. I remember a time I hated myself and wanted to die but I overcame that with love and joy of my friends and family. Just know who you are is already perfect inside and don't change... I ask God to be with you through everything you face.

14. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    we'll when I'm depressed I watch comedy shows and movies and driving but u have to be sober

15. mrGhost

Out Status:
    Some people
    Life is not about feeling nothing. I did party away some years of my life, because it seemed the easiest way to escape from all the stuff I went through. I thought I was alone in this world, like I were the only person who deals with this the stuff I went through.

I was wrong. I met some people like me - who were going exactly through the same stuff, who also abused lots of things to just forget - and it made me realize, that a support group is what I need in my life.

And you should try it as well, because nobody is a lonely island.

16. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Alcohol has helped to provide me with some of the best times of my life!
    Alcohol has helped to provide me with some of the worst times in my life!

Alcohol is a potent drug. It can be dangerous- overdosing and dying, losing control and doing things you wouldn't dream of doing sober, driving, etc. It can be insidious and it can take over your life and ruin it. It can also be a lot of fun. It can sometimes help you through times of stress, but drinking for self-medication is a very slippery slope. I will caution you to drink carefully, with people you trust, and to think about why you are drinking before you have the first one. You are only 18 and have a long life ahead of you, I hope. In the end, you are responsible for your own path, and I urge you again to be careful with alcohol.

17. soulcatcher

Do you know why you feel depressed?

18. AAASAS

I think it is, if you are rarely stressed.

If you are consitently stressed not a good idea because it doesn't solve anything but give you temporary relief.

When you sober up, your problems are still there, so you either have to get wasted again or deal with them.

Your body and liver can also only take so many times getting wasted, so I wouldn't exhaust yourself physically trying to feel better.

Best thing to do is actually change your life, and your problems, and not turn to quick fixes.

I used to abuse oxycodone and mariuana for the exact reason and wish I didn't because I wasted so much time and SO MUCH MONEY just delaying any resolution to my problems.

Take it from an ex-druggie; was only addicted for like 9 months but I did smoke a lot of weed. It doesn't fix anything, and it only creates MORE problems, which will perpetuate your abuse of drugs.

Another thing I will say though is if I didn't abuse drugs to solve my problems I most likely would've killed myself when I was younger. The pain was that bad an unbearable. So drugs did help me get through that "suicidal" time, but it didn't fix anything, and made things worse.

It's a tough spot to be in.

19. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am going agree with everyone else, drinking only creates more problems in the long run. It's a temporary fix that could eventually lead you down a dark path because I've been there before. What happens when the alcohol isn't enough? Because eventually, your body will become immune to it and like someone mentioned, you're going to need more if not something stronger.

I mean, drinking can be fun, but in moderation; it's not meant to be used to self medicate. So, believe me, you may want to stop while your ahead. There must be a more healthier approach to cope with everything. How about exercise/working out? Working out was an outlet for me as it made me feel stronger and more confident in myself.