1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't forget

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by dd1, Sep 2, 2014.

1. dd1

dd1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So here's the thing, some cold hard truth, suicide is selfish, you may think it will solve your problems and maybe it does but you just pass those to someone else. Your family will suffer massively whatever you feel they think of you, blood runs thicker then water and they care deep down. And then there is all the other people you involve, and trust me on this one, I know, I'm dealing with the aftermath of someone else's decsions, someone had to find you, that's something tht will then affect them and stay with then forever, I didn't ask for that but I suffer because of it. The police the paramedics, it's their job perhaps but their time could be better used. And your friends, everyone who knows you. Maybe you don't think it now but this affects soo many people so if you don't have it in you be optimistic for the future for you, and things always get better. Think of that random stranger on a walk, who will always remember that afternoon who will always be effected by someone else's decisions but can never get any answers to their questions. Food for thought and things always get better

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sympathetic as I am to the terrible loss you have experienced (and I do know how terrible it is), I must take issue with you for labelling suicide as selfish. Using immoderate words about this most serious mental health issue is very unhelpful and damaging. It increases stigma and drives the issue underground with the effect that people who are suicidal will not come forward to seek help and support during a crisis for fear of being judged or criticised. As someone who has lost a loved one to suicide I'm sure you wouldn't want that or a situation where even more people contemplate ending it all.

I'm sure you are hurting a lot and I apologise if my comments offend, but we must take great care when we are talking about suicide and mental health more generally. These issues are very complex and must be viewed from that perspective. Strong or judgemental words can have the opposite effect to what we intend.

#2 PatrickUK, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  3. dd1

dd1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I didn't ask for any of this when I went for a walk though did I? I know they must have been in a terrible place to do something like this. But a problem
    That could no doubt have been solved. No those problems they had are no less, their just spread to out nightmares, the pressure put on our friends and relationships because we are stressed by this and why. Because we chose to go for a walk?

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, you didn't ask for it and you didn't deserve it either. Unless you've experienced it first hand it's hard to imagine what it's like to lose someone, or find someone who has died by suicide and the huge rollercoaster of emotions you feel in the aftermath. With that in mind, I'm wondering if you have been offered any support with it all? In some countries (the UK for example) there are support groups for people who have been bereaved by suicide. To speak to other people who have been through the same sort of loss can help so much. Are you aware of any services like this where you are?