1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT at College

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by IwillBeStrong, Sep 3, 2014.

1. IwillBeStrong

Hi there! I just completed a sort of Registration for my new College (with my parents) and as we got to the page where the sexuality and religious beliefs where asked I kinda got nervous. As we got to the Sexuality part I insisted that my parents tell me what to cross on because I definitely didn't want to cross Heterosexual on my own as Im obviously not straight. So there was this huge pause before they asked me what "we" are ... "we" are "normal" they told me .. as I didnt answer my sister told them the word they were searching for .. Heterosexual. You probably can guess how I felt. I told them that the other ones are "normal" too but they kinda shrugged that off by telling me "No, otherwise they wouldn't ask about yoir sexuality"

So srry about the rant .. my question is whether or not this false description of my sexuality will affect me in anyway at Uni.. can I still join the lgbt society? I was actually thinking about coming out in Uni (no Im not out yet to anyone at all)
    Im so afraid my parents could know if I come out at college .. How possible is that to happen? :rolle::rolle:

#1 IwillBeStrong, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, it depends, really.

I believe they only ask for statistics. If there is a "prefer not to answer" or "other" box, check that. It's OK.

As for your parents knowing, it depends on where you go and if your parents has ties with people there. If it's a college that's far away, I don't think you'll have to worry. For closer colleges, though, you may need to be a bit more wary. Rumours can spread like wildfire, but ultimately, it's really up to you.

Good luck.

3. Gen

Gen

You definitely can. The purpose of those questions are primarily for the statistics of the college and, in some cases, for students to automatically be signed onto mailing lists depending on their answers. (I.E. A student who describes themselves as Korean may automatically be signed onto the mass email list for the Korean Club/Association on campus). Though you shouldn't have any issue joining whichever associations you wish independently, when your semester begins.

4. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It won't effect your ability to join any group, including LGBT groups. It is simply used as a way to track the diversity that the college has, so that the look more diverse, thus looking better on university and college studies.

I did not come out until my second year of graduate school, so it was my 6th year college, and my forms being incorrect had no negative effects on my college experience.

5. IwillBeStrong

@ Nychtemeron Well, I'd love to cross that one but my parents where sitting right beside me and they don't know I'm gay. So I basically HAD to cross the Hetorosexual one. It is pretty far away and they don't really know anybody there but I'm still afraid lol.

@Gen and @Phoenix89
    Thanks for your reply! I know it was a pretty dumb question but I didn't know it was only for the statistics. :slight_smile:

6. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am guessing that you can amend your answers once you start school, if you are really feeling guilty about not stating the truth.
    I don't think these are questions that should be asked in the first place unless it is a religious school, in which case I ask WHY go there?
    Also, why are your parents watching over your shoulder as you fill out these forms?
    Sorry if I've offended youl, but I'm feeling cranky today.

Crankier than usual.

7. PalestrinaMX

Do you go to a religious university? It just seems odd that they would ask that in the first place. I never came across that here in the U.S when I was applying.

8. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is not a dumb question. It is fair to nervous, college is a big step. I wish you all the best.

9. IwillBeStrong

@Carlgustav and @PalestrinaMX
    No abslutely not. Thats why I was pretty surprised. My parents just helped me fill out the other forms where I needed their help ... I never imagined to come across such a form. I think it was mainly for sort of a support of minority groups and all that. No idea.

@phoenix89 Thanks for your understanding :slight_smile: I hope that stupid form is not gonna stop me from being myself at Uni :slight_smile:)