1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The word 'dyke'

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by NDark, Sep 4, 2014.

1. NDark

When I was first figuring out my sexuality, I decided to read a bunch of books with gay main characters. One book that I read about lesbians threw around the term 'dyke' quite a bit and it was used in a neutral way, like one might say 'gay' or 'lezbo.' I assumed it wasn't derogatory, but many people on this site seem to take offence to it.

Is it actually a derogatory word for one to use, or does it depend on the person? I'd like to know so I don't offend anyone by using it.

2. SeaSalt

I dont think it was intended to be used as a derogitory term however people have used it in a negative way so much that it has stuck. Its the same as Faggot, A Faggot is a wierd English food made from all the undesirable parts of an animal coated in bread crumbs. Now its just another way to tear at the very nature of a person.

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

It's seen as a slur, but some lesbians have reclaimed it. It just depends.

4. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like it personally. My stepmom has said it to me with the goal of trying to offend me. So that's probably lessened my liking to the word.

5. Queer NOS

I am no LGBT etymologist, so correct me if I am wrong...

...but I assume that the offensiveness of the word "dyke" comes from the fact that this word is typically attached to the "very butch" stereotype of a lesbian in a way that condemns the person for being too "masculine" or "unladylike," as though a female being masculine were worthy of insult; it insinuates that the person (and, on a broader scale, all lesbians) are worth "less" than their more feminine female counterparts because of their perceived "butchness."

I think.

6. Blossom85

I honestly don't like any terms like that at all.. I just see it in a negative way and if someone was to say it in front of me, I cringe cause it just doesn't sound appropriate to say.

7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I don't particularly mind it when gay women use it--and they sometimes do--when straight people and gay men use it I do take offense. And in my experience when the latter two groups use it it seems that offense is often meant. "Dyke" is actually the only word I have recently had the occasion to actually ask someone not to use in my presence.

8. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I read the same on an article, with a few comments stating the same.

A comment on urbandictionary states that its considered to be rude to use the word unless you self-identify as one.

#8 jay777, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  9. black-cat

It is like many terms, especially in the LGBTQ community, it was deemed offensive, so many started to use it in a "kinder" way to reclaim it. I know in some parts the same is going on with fag/faggot. I don't like it, mostly due to the fact that it sounds vulgar and rhymes with my surname, lol.