1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long were you (have you been) in therapy for?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Richie., Sep 5, 2014.

?

Days, weeks, months, years, decades?

1. 0-12 months

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. 1-3 years

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. 3-5 years

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. 5 years plus

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. Richie.

I was wondering how long before you felt ready to cope with the world without therapy?

All in all I've been in therapy aboit 3 1/2 years, only half a year has been focused on my sexuality. And it's been really tough

I know everyone is different so I'm not going to find out how long I will be in therapy for but just interested I spose.

2. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    it had more to do with my mood swings I already had them before I came out but after i came out they got much worse did a couple of silly things was seeing her for 8 months I still have check up's .

3. TheStormInside

I think maybe 6 years? I started going because of severe anxiety. That's much more under control now but basically it helps me deal with the ups and downs in my life overall. I still do have anxiety and depression so it's helpful for me to see someone and check in. When things are calmer and I'm doing better I go in every 3-5 weeks. Lately since we've been dealing with my sexuality it's been every 2 weeks.

It's definitely different for everyone. Some people go to therapy for a brief period in their lives when things are particularly difficult- like dealing with the death of a loved one, job loss, or identity issues like questioning your sexuality and coming out. Others go to therapy for years or just stay in it indefinitely. I feel like for someone like me where there's a biological component I'll probably be in therapy off and on for life. Just like any chronic physical illness mental illness needs to be managed.

#3 TheStormInside, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well for bipolar since I was 21.

Gender therapy for 6 months. I'm pissed off at myself for having the chance to address being transgender about 5 years ago but not. My current therapist said u wasn't ready... which is true. But I still feel like a lot of time was lost.

5. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started seeing a psychiatrist when I was 18, and it lasted up until I turned 23 or 24. Unfortunately, I had to stop seeing my doctor due to a change in my health insurance. However, I continued taking medication thanks to my primary care physician. I started seeing my doctor due to various reasons, but my sexuality was never one of them. I'm not sure why I never disclosed such important information to him because I think it played a huge role in my instability.

I saw a therapist for only two visits because she made me feel really bad about myself. There was a time when I was self medicating (drinking) and she wanted me to stop, like it was an easy thing to do. And well she made me feel like a horrible parent.

If anything, I'd love to start seeing someone again because it's been so long. I mean, it's great having family and friends who I can pour my heart out to, but I'm sure they're tired of me.

#6 pinklov3ly, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On and off since I was a kid. Starting with a new therapist on Monday because my old one was useless.

7. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in therapy the first time for about 2 years. It was life and death back then so I really needed it. I've been back in therapy three times since then for about six months or so each time. Each time I've felt more and more like it was a luxury more than a necessity but it has always been really beneficial for me. I know exactly what you mean about how difficult it is. Good luck and hang in there. it's really worth sticking to it.

8. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    including couples counseling? more than10 yearsoff and on trying to safe the unsafeable. and dealing with the crap i had to deal with from the ex.. now shes helping me figure out me and my new life.

9. littlemonster11

The very first time I went to see someone, I was about 11, when I first broke out with psoriasis. I would talk to the middle school counselor at the time, and it honestly helped, since she had it too. Unfortunately, I didn't see her for that long, since she left.

It wasn't until my sophomore year in college I started seeing a counselor again. I went back to help manage my anxiety. I stopped seeing her until I went back again last fall to deal with family issues as well as my anxiety.

Overall, it's been on and off for me. Right now, I'm not seeing a therapist.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

On average, about two months. Usually my therapists see no need, to continue seeing me, as they believe, I already know what they can tell me.

One notable exception does exist, of where it was flat out horrible. One therapist kept telling me things like, "your depression will cripple you" and whatnot. Every session, he was trying to crush me, it felt like. I just shrugged it off, and he finally transferred me to somebody else, who turned out to be much more enjoyable.

The longest therapy session I had, was about 3 years. From the 7th grade to the 9th grade, when the State assigned me one. I only saw him once a week, and we discussed a wide variety of topics. After about four months, he admitted to me, that he didn't see a need for us to continue. But we had to, so we would usually just discuss our days, what was going on in my life, worldly or regional news and different life events. I remember one particular time, we discussed his daughter's prom date.

After the 3 years ended, I had gone through quite a bit of stuff. I probably only shared about 25% of it, or my life in general; just what he could easily find out. Perhaps that was part of the reason, I didn't enjoy therapy as a whole, though it was tolerable in this instance. Anyway, when the 3 years ended, I was asked if I wanted to continue coming. I told him no, and that was that. However, I have run into him a few times, when I've since gone back for short periods. He's been promoted to a higher level, so he doesn't work with patients anymore, at least not directly.

I can see why therapy is helpful to most, but for me, it didn't feel any different than talking to somebody else. Of course, for those of us with a small circle of friends, having a therapist, somebody who is sworn to keep secrecy, it can be appealing.

11. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I believe it has been about 6 years. My adventure in the counseling world started when I started having crying spells for no particular reason. In the beginning, I had anxiety issues all throughout my childhood. I had night terrors which occurred when my father was in the picture; these went away when he was gone. I had anxiety as long as I can remember except I always assumed it was normal to feel like your heart was going to explode in class. My anxiety usually peaked at school likely because I was always on guard for the next bully that came my way. Once I got into high school was when I asked my mother to place me into counseling. I had my first anxiety attack outside of school at home. I was watching a movie with my step father and mother one evening and felt like the room was spinning, I was faint like, and I believe I lashed out at my mom because I wasn't sure exactly what was going on except that I felt like I was dying.

The following months they kept occurring and then I had the racing thoughts, suicidal thoughts, felt like I was going to hurt someone etc. I also kept having crying spells which I think my mother figured out was serious once I spoke to her. It took many talks with my mother for her to finally get me into counseling.

The first counselor sucked. I just felt just months of talking didn't help one damn bit. I then got a recommendation by my family doctor to see this one counselor who I now see to this day. She has been good. It is kind of interesting because my family doctor has counseled me (in regards to getting me on the right medication, even recommended a book that talks about the reasons why some things occur in our bodies such as anxiety). Hell, she was the first one who realized I liked girls aftter talking to her about something. Then there is my counselor now who has helped me identify things that I do and why I do them.

I grew up in a hectic household. My father was an alcoholic. Every day there was another damn party at our house. People would get drunk, while also encouraging some of us kids to be a part of that partying. My father felt like he should be the cool dad by getting us drunk (he always said we could see the angels if we drank the alcohol). He also encouraged us to do other things as well. Not only was he an alcoholic, but he was very abusive. Every night was a hellish night full of him beating the hell out of my mother, while also finding ways to make sure we watched. As I got older, I thought it was normal. I started acting out with tantrums, got into trouble at school (no damn soul knew). My father was in and out of our life. I still remember always being outside questioning if he would keep his damn word or do as he always did never show up. I still loved him even after what he did, but it grew into anger.

As a child, I always felt like I had to be the savior. My mother was always going to me to talk out her problems. My sister got sick when I was about 10 years old so then again the focus was never on me. I was the one who watched my sister almost die a few times, my mother venting her issues to me, while also still trying to be somewhat of a kid. I think I grew up quick in regards to doing things on my own. Mentally though right now even I feel lost because there are some things I just can't understand. I am always questioning peoples motives. Always wondering who is going to hurt me next. I have issues with expressing myself. I have issues with getting close to someone emotionally and physically. I find ways to sabotage my relationships with people whom I care for the most thinking that if I atleast get them to hate me then they are just agreeing with what I at times think of myself. I always question why someone would like me. I become avoidant due to fear-they always take it personally. Example, I care about someone very much right now, but part of me is saying that I would do her a favor by avoiding her. I can go on and on about my life, but it may take years lol.

In the end, I am just trying to survive like everyone else. I apologize for the rant.

12. Nimun

11 years. Saw my first therapist when I was 4 years old. It hasn't helped at all. I don't even think I'm that crazy I just have a unique personality.

13. ChameleonSoul

I've been going to therapy for about two and a half years now. I've mainly been going for my depression rather than my sexuality, but that's probably what my depression stems from. Part of me wishes that I could suck it up and come out to my therapist, they've probably heard it plenty of times before.

14. Toast

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you count therapy as sitting down at regular sessions and talking about how you feel, pecieve the world, thinks, etc, then less than a year. However, I have been seeing a psychiatrist for about three years now, once every three months, so I can renew a Lexapro prescription. I was required t see a psychiatrist briefly after my family discovered that I had been self harming for several moths, but I felt that it wasn't helpful. All that happened was that I would go in, cry, and leave an hour later. It helps for some people, but for me, it didnt do any good.

15. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've had appointments with a few psychologists mainly because of some random depressive moods, but as soon as they saw I could keep a job and pay for my rent, they "kicked me out", so to speak.

They were free by the way, but all very good, except one strange man that talked a lot about himself (!), was not very careful about personal hygiene and didn't seemed to know about personal space... I was the one that ran like hell back then...

I want to find a good, honest, professional psychoanalist, someone that will ask me about my dreams and help me analize them (I think they are the real reason behind my chronic insomnia, together with premenstrual stuff), but I don't have the time nor the cash to afford it, so warm glass of milk, a good book and friend's advice...

(And still I'm suffering this damned insomnia! ...)

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Saw my first therapist for about 9 months. (I really, really didn't want to go, and a friend twisted my arm, for which I'm eternally grateful.)

Saw my second for close to a year. (Moved to a different location.)

Briefly saw the first one again, who referred me to another therapist. She was amazing, and I worked with her for close to 4 years.

There are two metaphors I use in helping people to get their hands around therapy.

The first is like peeling back layers of an onion. You see the top layer, you work away at it, you get through it... and then a week, a month, a year, or 5 years later, you discover there's another layer to work on.

The second is like hiking up a mountain. You see the peak up ahead, you keep walking, and then you get to it... and realize it's a false peak, and there's still more climbing to go.

I believe that self-work (which isn't necessarily therapy, though therapy is usually a part of it) is a lifetime endeavor. The more we understand ourselves, the better we can understand and connect with our emotions and our sexual feelings, relate to others, and live fully and wholeheartedly.

Therapy for most is something we do for a while, then navigate life, then come back to in order to gain deeper insight.

If you have specific questions about what's going on in your particular situation, it would help to understand more about the issues you're addressing.

17. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For mental health... the longest I saw a therapist was around 6 months. Once per week or every two weeks. He hardly talked. I don't feel well when I go near that place. People usually say I'm crazy if they find out I went to therapy. It isn't weak to go to therapy. Some of them could have benefited from therapy.

I act out in therapy and say inappropriate things to my therapist. Nobody believes me but I don't realise what I'm saying is strange until it is too late. I think this is why some people accuse me of having autism or asperger's. I need my medications though. I dislike seeing doctors because I feel as if I'm a broken person. We have to get it over with. I take the first appointments.

Sooner or later they all end up saying I'm tough. I think a tough person would go in and say "So what, bad stuff happened, whatever! Let's get to work on fixing it!" instead of crying for 10 minutes, only to then get up and give a speech on why we should execute certain groups of criminals and make it public because it would bring the community together! On the way back home I often thought "what the hell got into me!?" xD

18. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I only started a few months ago after basically a complete breakdown from depression and anxiety. I really wish I had started earlier, but the problem was my religious/immigrant family were very mistrustful of the idea of counseling. Cost was another factor. Instead of professional counseling, we just had extended family and religious options like prayer, but those weren't enough.

19. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been going to a psychiatrist for about three months now for my mental health. I'm in counciling for my mental health as well, and while she's a lovely lady who does help with feelings.... That's about all she can help. I'm trying to get in to see a real therapist for bipolar disorder, OCD, ADD and some stuff that would land me in an asylum if I was born in another time period. Lol.

I went to a therapist when I was younger along with my sister. The point in that was to try to get us to stop trying to stragle each other (not literally) but it didn't help at all. We absolutely despise each other now.