1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared after EMDR

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Richie., Sep 5, 2014.

1. Richie.

I had emdr yesterday and we focused on shame. It has been brutal since, flashbacks and concerz about reliving some trauma in my past, I was scared to go to sleep because of the dreams I've been having. My mind is fuzzy right now.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your therapist should be doing post- processing of the EMDR with you that should be minimizing any flashbacks or other trauma. What does sometimes come up during EMDR is bringing up more than the specific issue being addressed but in that case, the therapist should be processing the secondary or residual issues that are coming up.

At least, that's how I was taught, and in a few cases, I have seen in the after-processing some secondary issues arise which were pretty easily cleared with a bit of extra EMDR to clear the feelings.

Dreams that are vivid aren't uncommon, but, at least in my experience, are usually not traumatic if the EMDR has adequately cleared everything that was brought up. You might discuss this with your therapist.

3. Mitchell

I go for EMDR weekly... If something becomes overwhelming, I tell her, and we take a brief break.