1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you make it without a BA and job experience in Broadcasting?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Maddie89, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Maddie89

Humor me here...

If I leave my marriage soon, will I be able to survive? I have skills and am very creative in my field, as well as some others. I thought about staying with my parents in Texas and do whatever I need to do to develop a reasonable job/income and thrn move out and take it from there.

I don't know much longer I could stay here in Egypt, let alone my marriage. I'm tired of all the denial my husband is in, the lie I have to live everyday because I am an exmuslim and most likely a lesbian. I can't be myself here. And Egyptian tradition makes it worse with everyone telling me what to do, expecting this and that. Now I'm expected to have babies within the next year or so. I can't do this.

I love him but I know I shouldn't stay. It isn't fair to him or myself. But I am just so afraid of being on my own for the first time, even though it's all I ever crave.

Plz don't squash me by telling me Its impossible for me, I need hope, I get enough realist lectures from my dad and inner critic.

I guess I need some consoling on how to get over the fear.

I don't want to stay here and go along with my marriage just because I'm terrified of leaving and regretting it. I have a history of giving into others wishes and sacrificing my own but I don't want to have to do that anymore. I am learning to respect myself and my own wishes for a change.

P.S: I am American Egyptian btw. I have skills in graphic design, some motion graphics, video editing, some videography, some photography, photo manipulation and editing in PS, radio hosting and script writing, tv hosting and some studio production training, some digital painting, writing, journalism and even singing. I'm what some call a Polymath/Renassaince woman/jack of all trades.

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2014 at 08:08 PM ----------

I'm just scared. Scared of regretting my decision to leave because I love him, and because I don't want to fail in taking care of myself on my own, too.

Stupid controlling parents never let me work even when I was offered a position as a magazine and an internet company! Went from dad's house straight to hubby's. not even hubby's...to his mom's house! Grr im going to sleep now..

#1 Maddie89, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  2. Gen

Gen

Regardless of how difficult it would be to bring into any specific field, it is clear that staying in these current conditions isn't an option. You have to start preparing a way out for yourself. It may not initially be exactly where you have dreamed of working, but there is always time to work towards those aspirations in the future. The primary focus at the moment should be to move yourself into an environment where you feel free to better yourself, both emotionally and economically.

On the topic of broadcasting specifically, I will not downplay the reality that it can be a brutal field to break into; however, there is no doubt that the vast majority of success in broadcasting and journalism comes from creating a solid resume of past work experience and working your way up to the positions you desire. Clearly, that is something you are capable of since you were already offered two positions in the past. I would focus on becoming financially independent in the quickest way possible, then begin looking for positions in that field once you are in a better position to do so.

3. swimgood

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like I can't give you solid advice as i haven't been in a situation like yours. I simply cannot fathom your situation fully...

You've got a goal in mind, i guess you should now focus on the strategies... so like small things you can begin doing to build up to your big decision, to make you feel 'ready' to leave.

Im sorry I couldnt help more with the technical parts. quite frankly I have no clue about that industry

All the best,

Lisa

4. Maddie89

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate the advice. I will consider them

5. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

You can definitely do it! It is a very competitive field and I unfortunately dont know the extent a BA will help, but you can definitely leave what sounds like a toxic environment and stand on your own. You have a lot of talents and I am sure that will help; you may have to take jobs that are different than what you want for awhile and live less comfortably than ideal I would think, but you are definitely able to move and Texas may be good because we have a lot of different cities with their own hubs of ~the arts~ growing and are.... more reasonable to afford living in than others. And if you have to stay with your parents for longer than planned, that still seems like it could make you happier than the current situation. I am pretty dumb and naive but you seem flexible, skilled, ambitiouis, and have family to help so if it makes you happy, go for it?!!?!

Good luck :> You can do it!

6. Maddie89

Awwww thank you so much! I will try :')