1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with work

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by drwinchester, Sep 6, 2014.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

A few months ago, in early June, I got my first official job with an inventory company. Hours were never great and it's definitely not the kind of job you get into for a steady income- but it worked because I'm a full time student and happened to take summer term off so I could work.

I had to apply as female, which I hated but I haven't changed anything legally so it kinda had to be done. But I made it clear upon employment that I had a different name I preferred and I was trans- which my hiring manager indicated she was okay with making a few accomodations (like letting me use my preferred name on ID's).

It was all good when I start working. It wasn't the best work, kind of monotonous and tedious but I didn't mind- I needed the money. I didn't mind the late shifts or no lunch breaks either. First job after all. I wasn't expecting better.

But then, it started happening. I'd been passing okay at work but then my supervisors, including the one who'd hired me, insistently misgendered me when they hadn't really before. Other coworkers caught on and I stopped being passable. Our clients at the retail locations would be confused.

I found my birth name, with my preferred name in parentheses besides it, being listed on schedule sheets and other documents available to all employees. But no one said anything to me so I tried to ignore it.

I wasn't receiving many hours anyway. Co workers I'd gotten hired with would go on and on about all the stores they were doing that week. All I had was maybe one, two stores a week if even.

But my emails were still being returned and supervisors were still calling so it was okay.

But then, at the last store I was assigned to, my supervisor would list my birth name on an area sheet available to all employees and clients. So basically, I was 100% outed. After that, my coworkers seemed to avoid me.

I emailed my district supervisor, asking them to stop using my birth name on documents available to employees.

After that...Nothing.

A shift I had scheduled later that week was suddenly removed. I had no shifts for 2 weeks.

I haven't received any further schedules even though I was supposed to yesterday, every Friday. Supervisors haven't returned any calls or emails. I'm now basically on furlough but no one's telling me what's going on.

I still haven't heard back from them. What do I do? I'm not officially laid off or fired...

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At first I thought 'put it down to human error' … but if they are not responding to emails I think you could make a fuss and insist. You have basic rights although I do not know what employment law says over there for your sort of work, but maybe try them once again and - if they do not play ball - can you get some advice from somewhere???

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Well, I contacted HR. I might be contacting the labor board... I would've applied for unemployment but unfortunately, I haven't been working long enough to qualify. I've called my district office twice but have received no response. I feel like I was basically laid off without warning.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

UPDATE-

Work finally emailed me a schedule. Of course, all I got was one shift next week. Nor did management correct any of the name issues I had on the schedules or publicly available forms. It took me bringing up the labor board in my last phone call to finally get some attention.

I'm still thinking about quitting anyway because as of right now, I'm in the middle of job hunting. I've sent out at least one application a day and I'm trying to wrangle some freelance work to support myself in the meantime.