1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is There Anything Good About Our Kids?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ZenMusic, Sep 7, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

My dad was saying how kids have no respect these days and that this is the generation of "entitlement. Is there anything good about us? (Keep in mind he is from Nigeria, so he has quite a one-sided view of things.)

2. AsheTheHuman

Of course! We're a large group, so of course we don't all feel entitled. Just look at the how people respond to LGBTQ people! Younger generations are increasingly more accepting of not just us, but also other new things! Art is also becoming increasingly more important in younger generations. Look at how many people in their early twenties to early thirties use KickStarter and IndieGoGo and the like to fund projects around books, panting, video games, and everything else! We have just as much worth as any other generation. Your dad's just a grump. :grin:

3. CoyoteCalling

Out Status:
    Some people
    Every generation seems to think the one after it is going to hell in a hand basket. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

4. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with both what you said and use of "going to hell in a hand basket", which is now going to be incorporated into my language as much as possible.

5. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

My niece in law is 14 and she is the most beautiful, intelligent and mature 14 year old I know. She isn't nerdy but WANTS to succeed.. She only hangs around a+ students from what i've seen and the few friends she does have who are average students she loves and respects all the same but would never really get into the type of trouble they might get up to. Compared to her mother she is a miracle. Her father (My sisters Husband) is really smart himself and is a top electrician. Gets lots of money. And he spoils my niece in law but it never gets to her head.

I just love her. A golden child imo.

So honestly.. yes this generation is rather messed up but there are alot of good kids out there too.. Your dad is just being closed minded.. Yet he is right in ways. He shouldn't generalize a whole generation.

#5 ChloeKiss, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. We're awesome! XD I don't see why we'd be any worse than other generations...

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reading this and previous forum postings about your home situation, I'd say your Dad has a rather narrow outlook on life. One could argue that it's his Nigerian (African) heritage that dictates his thinking, but that's really making an excuse for his ignorance. There are people from Africa who don't think like him.

8. Blossom85

I think it is all in your upbringing.. Respect is something that is taught and I know some parents can teach and teach and teach and their children still grow up un-respectful but all of my cousins were brought up in similar ways to myself and we are mostly all respectful and polite to people. If parents don't really teach by example.. Being respectful themselves, their children see that and if they are not leading by example.. Of course their children are going to think that behavior is acceptable.

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got three marvelous, amazing, intelligent, respectful, funny and awesomely talented kids! :grin:

I'm their Dad, I could be a little biased, but I beam with pride when others tell me the same thing! :grin:

10. RainDreamer