1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self confidence has taken a hit

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by phoenix89, Sep 8, 2014.

1. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My self confidence has taken a major hit lately. I have cried the last few nights and normally that helps, but it has not been. I gained a lot of confidence when I came out, and I have been doing well with it. However, the last few days have been difficult for me. I am missing my friends, my mom and my former boyfriend. We are still friends and we still Skype about 3-4 nights a week, but I miss what we had.I also miss my faith, I lost it in May and I also miss being straight.

I wish I could go back to how things were. My life was harder then, but I at least knew what was going on, I how don't. Things going on. I keep losing everything, I lost family members, I lost my identity, and I lost my faith. I am also struggling to see myself as beautiful. I know that I am, but sometimes it is hard to see.

I wish I had some friends, when I graduated and moved back home I left all of my friends behind. I have no friends in my home town, and some of my siblings, and my brother's girlfriend all seem think that I am a target. None of them even realize how much I do.

I want to move out but I am only making $7.95 an hour 24 hours a week. And moving means starting again in a new with no one and that is my problem now.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can you go and stay with one of your university friends - just to re-connect for a week end? It would help.

So would a new friend - LGBT or otherwise - in your home town..

Hope you can start breathing again, soon.

3. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can try. I am working on the weekends but I can try to get one off. A new friend would be nice, I would love to make some at work, I have only been there 1.5 weeks. There really are not too many LGBT people in my town, it is only 13,000 people, and I live out in the country so I have no neighbors. I can really try though.

4. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Phoenix,

I'm at a pretty low point confidence wise myself, as I was recently put down / bullied and am still getting over it, and am ruing my stupidity for leaving myself open to it in the first place, by being in the wrong place at the wrong time - so I wonder if I'm even the best person to try to give any advice...but just a question, I don't get what you mean about 'I miss being straight'. Is that because you actually miss liking guys, or, that you miss all that went along with the straight lifestyle?

As for losing one's faith, well I'm lucky I guess in that my faith isn't homophobic and is pretty rational in many respects actually, so my sexuality doesn't clash with it at all. But in your case, I invite you to not assume that all is lost here. If you still believe that there is some kind of Cosmic order to all of this, that what we give out, that we receive back; if you believe in the power of kindness, truthfulness, generosity, and so forth - I would suggest that maybe you have not 'lost' anything, but that rather you are undergoing what can feel like a spiritual 'dark night' which although difficult and lonely, is a part of personal transformation; well, that's how it often happens. You lose the outward faith, but you might just find some faith in yourself. You know what I mean by this? The spiritual journey isn't over, it's just deepened a bit, that's all. What I'm saying is, it could be argued that you are are actually progressing spiritually, by losing the outward expression of faith. Sometimes I actually lose my faith as well. I just cast the whole lot out, and examine what I really believe about life on my own terms. But I still come back to those essential values I mentioned above; they don't change, and what's more, we don't even need a religion in order to both see their value, and to practice them.

---------- Post added 9th Sep 2014 at 09:11 AM ----------

As for believing in your own beauty - well you had better believe it. :slight_smile: The fact is that some folks will find us attractive, some will find us unattractive, and many won't care one way or the other. So since there is no set 'truth' about whether we are *actually* beautiful or not - since it is a perception that varies with the individual - we might as well be one of the folks who does like ourselves as we are. There is actually a lot of money to be made out of making folks feel bad about their appearance. It's a huge industry. One does have to fight this. We don't see many ad campaigns saying, 'just eat, sleep, and exercise healthily, have a positive attitude, and your natural beauty will shine forth more'. The message we get is, 'you're not good enough as you are, but if you purchase our product, you might be a bit more ok'. Don't let that underlying message infiltrate your heart and mind. (And of course I need to also take my own advice here, and accept myself more as well - as I said, I hope I'm not hypocritical for dishing it out, but I do mean well.)

#4 Damien, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  5. Holly82

Oh wow, phoenix you're so lucky!! :slight_smile: I mean that!

What if I told you that I had just bought a car, and in that car was beautiful upholstery and all the gadgety gizmos that modern technology has to offer. It's the bestest of the bestest of cars. Then as soon as I pulled out of the dealership, a bunch of people ran up to it, ripped open the doors and all of them took the nastiest diarrhea dump in the history of dumps. My brand new car, the insides seemingly ruined. Now a little time passed and I find that some people like the smell of diarrhea so they ride with me in my car (I can't get rid of the car because I just paid for it and can't take it back). They like the smell, but I don't. Then one day I say, "You know what?! I hate the smell of diarrhea!" *SHOCK* rings out among the passengers. They don't understand. I take the car and have it completely cleaned out. Slowly but surely they start exiting the car because, to them, riding in my car was only acceptable if it was filled with diarrhea. And now, what seems like all of the sudden, I am free of those people (and ideas) that kept me company while riding around in my diarrhea car. Free of the diarrhea means free of those who find diarrhea acceptable.

Don't mistake loneliness for a sign that you made a mistake, that would be ....a mistake! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. You car is now clean and you are preparing to invite people in who enjoy soft leather seats, new car smell, and all manner of gadety gizmo thingies. You're on your way, phoenix! Take this time and be with yourself. Get to know your car as it was when it first pulled out of the dealership. When the right people come along, they'll have a lot of questions about your car!

This is phoenix time. :slight_smile:

6. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Damien: I am sorry that you were bullied, that really sucks, no one deserves to be bullied. For you question,
    I miss what went along with it. I miss just being apart of the crowd, I miss not having to constantly come out that I am bi.

You are lucky with your faith. I am trying to not assume that, but it is hard. I do still being in the power of kindness, truthfulness and generosity. I am finding some faith in myself, but it is a hard journey.

I am trying to believe in my beauty. I am doing a lot better than I have in past. I am not a person who wears makeup, I find it very annoying. But I am self-conscious about my size, since I am rather overweight, and even though I have lost a lot of weight I am still self-conscious.

I don't think that you are being hypocritical.

Holly: Thanks, that is a good analogy. I am working on getting to know myself, but this is definitely a challenge. I know that there are some good people along the way, I already know some of them. I just never expected to be in this position but I am, and I just have to deal with it. Though it is hard.

7. HTBO

Holly, I liked your analogy. It is very true. I have done the same thing in the past years, and at times it's lonely, but I also realize it took a lifetime to become the person I was, and to become who I am and want to be, and to have the people in my life that are right for me is going to take time. I've developed some new friendships in the past year, and these people are unlike anyone who was in my life before. They understand and accept me for who I am. I don't feel like I need to prove anything to them, and I know that I can be myself with them. Work on you and making yourself happy and you will attract the people that are right for you. Doesn't matter whether they are straight, friends are friends regardless of orientation, and the happier you are with yourself, the more likely you will attract someone who has interest in you.
    As for appearance, don't worry about it. Damien is right, beauty is subjective. There will always be someone who will think you are beautiful, and that will be more likely to happen if you have confidence in yourself. If people are going to judge you based on your appearance, then they are not the kind of people that are worth the effort. Wait for someone who will judge and love you because of how amazing you are as a person. Let your inner beauty shine through:slight_smile: I don't care what someone looks like on the outside, I want someone who is beautiful inside because to me that person is the most beautiful and always will be. Be happy and proud of who you are, and don't let anyone take that away from you, especially yourself.

8. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, I am working on focusing on myself, it is strange to do though. I have never focused on myself and my needs, so it is strange to do it now. I am just not sure how to make friends outside of school.

Thanks. Inner beauty is more important, and if they judge me, they are not worth my time. I need to remember that. Though I do need to remember that even if not everyone sees me as beautiful, I need to see myself as beautiful, both on the outside and on the inside.

9. burg

if it makes you feel any better whenever ive read your posts i get the vibe you would be a great person to hang out with.you always sound like a generally nice smart caring person.

10. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awe thanks :slight_smile: that is so sweet of you.