1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice for college?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by etcetera, Sep 9, 2014.

1. etcetera

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I'm off to uni on Friday, and so far I've been getting a ton of sage words of wisdom and cooking implements from various relatives. I was wondering if you guys have any advice to add (also, I could really use some more cutlery, if you have any :icon_bigg).
    Any tips on how to kick-start my sex life would also be welcome :***:

2. Gen

Gen

While college is a very new and different environment, I would say that one of the first things you will learn is that it is not that different. Especially as a freshman, because it is not as though your peers went through some dramatic evolution in the last couple of months. There are still quite a few things that will feel reminiscent of your past social and academic environments. There may be slightly less immaturity, stupidity, general ignorance, etc, but it will absolutely still be there. What separates college/university from previous years is that the environment is far less suffocating. You aren't forced to interact with people that you would rather not nearly as often and there are fresh faces around every corner.

On the topic of sex and relationships. It is completely fine to what to explore that side of things and discover potential partners that you might actually have something special with (Don't we all...). The harsh truth is that, for many LGBTQ, being presented with an opportunity and finding opportunities that they are actually willing to take is not necessarily a cake walk. Sex is not difficult to find in any environment, but when it comes down to being with people that we have actually formed attractions and a connection with, everything becomes much more of a matter of chance.

My point is that there are plenty of things to look forward to in college, but everything, if not most things, will not fall into order on arrival. Making friends, starting relationships, getting a handled on your studies, getting involved in things that you actually care about, adapting to a new environment and way of life, etc, rarely happens in the beginning. We all form these ideas of the things that are going to happen, what we are going to do, and how everything will work out and it rarely lives up to expectation. Some people will glide right into everything, but many will have to be patient and maintain an optimistic outlook. Most things improve with time and that is something that I would keep in mind when making this transition.