1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm 20 years old and I'm still single.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Tabb, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Tabb

Is this normal? I've never had anything personal anyone, no guy has ever shown romantic interest in me, I've never had sex. All that. Every guy I've ever thought was interested in me was a false alarm.

I've really built up my self-confidence lately, so I haven't been thinking I'm unattractive or anything. In fact, I've been dressing exactly the way I want (cute clothes. pastel pinks, blues, yellows, etc) and feeling almost 100% confident. But now that I'm thinking about all this, I just feel like it's slowly draining back out of me again.

Most guys I've heard about/seen have been with other guys as early as 15?

2. Skov

I didn't go on my first date until earlier this year when I was 20. I still haven't been in an official relationship. I wouldn't worry too much. It's not uncommon.

3. Tabb

It's so crappy, though. All of my friends and young relatives are in relationships or getting complimented to hell, and I can't even find someone halfway decent on a dating site.

4. confuseduser99

Ugh, my life.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm 21 and have NEVER been on a date, have had sex, or have even KISSED someone before! What a sad and lonely life I'm living :frowning2:

#ForeverAlone

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm 24 and I've never really done anything with anyone either. It's normal.

6. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Tabb,

Yep been there and still there.

I recently also had a false alarm (my first actually) and it's dreadful. A false alarm is one thing but when you also have a massive crush on them, even worse. I think I'm beginning to get over that but the whole thing start to finish feels like a step backwards really.

The fact you're out to everyone will help you though. I'm not which I'm under no illusion makes it even more difficult.

It's very cliche, but I suspect people might be right when they say don't force it. If you have anything you enjoy doing in your spare time, do it. You may not directly meet someone, but friend of a friend etc.

I often have a hard time with the oh-so-often saying of "do what you're comfortable doing and you'll find the people most like you". I agree, but many of my activities tend to be by myself.

7. rmds

I think it's actually a lot more common than you think. On TV, it seems like everyone's having serious relationships and all kinds of sex when they're teenagers... but in real life, I've found that that's not the way it is for most people. Either that, or a lot of people lie about their experiences.

I know you feel like a ticking time bag, but in the grand scheme of things you're still very young. I'm 24 and still waiting for my perfect lady, too.

8. Xochipilli

Aww, I can relate. Much older and in the same boat right here.
    And no indication of it changing anytime soon. :lol:

9. Jwis

I am 28 and in my first real relationship. I have had sex prior to it but they were just one night stands, mostly fueled by alcohol. I think it is very normal.

10. Blossom85

Well if it's not normal.. I am very not normal.. I am 29 and yet to experience a real relationship.. The only one I have so far experienced was an online very long distance relationship.. We were talking about meeting and everything, but it ended before it progressed to that stage where one or the other could go and boost and spend time.. So I am in the same boat, only much older so please don't feel it is not normal.

11. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I agree with this. I've only had LDR's too, but they didn't last long.

12. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heck I am in my early 30's and I have never even had a snuggle. The only experience with sexual activity I have had is being abused when I was younger. It's not easy but my best advice is to not try to rush things and not to base your happiness or self-worth on being with someone else. There is more to life than that.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Some people will say it isn't normal, but, that is easy to say, when you've had the experiences. It's kind of like people, who have jobs, believe everybody else can get one as easily.

Personally, no, I don't think it's abnormal. I'm 28 years old, and never kissed somebody on the lips. I've never had sex. I haven't really hugged anyone either, though, strangely, I have held people before, when they were crying. Take that one, for what you will.

A lot of it is, time. Some of it is, location. But sometimes, we shut ourselves in, and by not going out, we make it difficult to be noticed. While we can't make anyone like us, we always have the option, to do more, to improve ourselves and our chances.

14. blond

I'm 22 and i've never done anything close to that.

15. shinji

shinji Guest

I'm 27 and i've never (NEVER) done anything (ANYTHING!!!).

So yeah, normal sure... what floats your boat. Nothing is normal! I'm actually the same way as you (OP). Started dressing nicely, built my self confidence and it is all slowly starting to seep away from me... but then i remember, i'm not doing this for others, i'm doing this for myself, f**k what others think!

The best way to find a boyfriend is to be confident enough to notice all the potential ones around you. Trust me, they are there... you're just not allowing yourself to look hard enough.

Make it a game (i did), test your gaydar... Like, is that dude gay, is that one, the one next to him... it helps. Also, people tend to notice you "scanning" them and this leads to a whole new world of possibilities. Like for example, today i had the most intense staring competition with a guy... only to later have him clam up on me and deliberately sit in the sun (on the bus) just so he was with his back towards me...

I'm getting sidetracked here... Yes, being single at 20 is completely normal! Don't fool yourself into thinking that all those hypothetical 15 year old have meaningful relationships (some do, but most don't).

16. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Nope, there's plenty of people who have done anything, you're not alone :slight_smile:

There's no rush!

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 25, and I haven't even kissed another person romantically, let alone dated. Everyone has their own circumstances, and from what I've seen, no one has all the answers. Do you have gay friends that you could hang out with?

18. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a 21 introverted gamer, and have only ever had a single hug from another guy who wasn't family. And that was just one strange uni student in a library who was hugging random people, and the only physical interaction I've had from another guy.

I was forced to obscure any kinds of feelings under an iron shell through all of school, due to bullying. I realised too late that college/uni was much safer than school, so I was just as closed off then.
    Though I'm trying to work up some courage and be a bit more outgoing right now. But even then, I've never done anything sexual, and have put all that behind the Marriage card, to ensure I won't get hurt by it. For me, that's all in the distant future, even more disheartening.

I imagine it's perfectly normal, though a sad reality. We're here at a point where people are opening up, but not quite fully, to accepting gays.

Still, beats being born 50 years ago. The complaints would be even worse if you were!

19. pranbran

My very first relationship was when I was 28 (literally 8 months ago) - That was my first kiss, my first girlfriend, my first intimate relationship of any kind. I don't think it's weird at all. People don't all live their lives on the same schedule. You will find your someone and you will have all of that, it's just not necessarily going to be right when you want it. Just take your time and live your life. The right person will come along.

20. Bane

Winnipeg, Canada (aka temporary paradise)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey now, don't think that's a bad thing! There are many people on the same yacht as you, including me, so never worry. Just be patient. Love is patient. There's someone for everyone.

I'm just 19 and still waiting for that someone. I'm big on love and won't give up on love. He exists, that I know much of.