1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, I want to leave the country

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by cuppycake, Sep 13, 2014.

1. cuppycake

Sup, cuppycake here !

So, I want to leave the country I currently live in. You know, the usual - running away from certain mentally-unstable relatives, longing for a better life, nicer jobs, new people. The minimum wage in my country right now is 174 euro, which means 1 euro per hour, and the minimal pension is 76 euro. Plus, the country itself is extremely conservative. A lot of hate, a lot of corruption, a lot of shit happening which I don't approve of.

My question is, how do I do that? What do I need to leave my country? I need a country where the official language is English, and I actually enjoy the thought of living in the UK. How much money do I need to go and live there for a couple of months, and how expensive is the rent, the food, etc. How can I legally live and work there (permanently)? How do I get a working visa card, and do I actually need it? Every single bit of information will be extremely helpful.

Also, do you have any experience with moving to another country? I would love to hear your stories!

And, lastly, my grandmother suggested I should start a go-fund-me account where I can actually try and save enough money to leave my country (when I finish university, which I haven't even started yet ... *sigh*), but I'm not really sure about that ... I've seen people there who really, really, really need money, like, for surgery, and I've seen people there who just want to take their kid to Disneyland. Can I actually save some money to leave my country that way, or is it not very likely to work ... ?

Sorry for the long post, I hope I didn't bore you ^u^ Any questions are welcome!

2. Nekokoneko

Out Status:
    Some people
    Since you have not started a university yet, I think the easiest way for you to move to a different country is to attend a school in another country. Student visas are easier to get generally than work visas. And then after spending four years somewhere you really have a feel for the place and all sorts of contacts and experience that can help you get a job and a work visa.

3. Ryujin

I second what Nekokoneko says. A lot of british universities welcome overseas students so it shouldn't be that much harder to get into a british university than one where you live

4. cuppycake

Thanks, I didn't know that! ^^'

5. thekillingmoon

I want to move to another country too. Hate where I live, plus getting tired of all the anti lgbt crap here. You do need a lot of money for that. I looked up the rent in the uk before and it's very expensive. If you manage to get a job there and have a stable income, you're set. That's the hard part though.

6. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I totally understand what you mean. I'm from Eastern Europe and moving to England on Wednesday to start uni. I did take out a year after high school to save money though, plus I'll be getting a bursary from my uni and my brother and parents gave me a little money to get started too. I'm taking out a student loan from my country as well. So yeah....it's expensive! If your parents aren't rich or a uni isn't giving you money then it's hard to study abroad..

7. cuppycake

blueberrykisses, exactly. I'm from South-Eastern Europe. It's so fucking hard, I don't have that much money, damn it. I live with my grandparents, my mother left me and my father is mainly taking care of his new girlfriend. My grandmother has a pension of 105 euro and my grandfather's pension is 110 euro. I have no means of studying abroad ...
    Anyway, I'm so happy for you! I hope everything goes well and you have lots of fun in UK <333 You go, girl!! ^O^

I'll keep dreaming, though!

thekillingmoon, I know, right? So many anti-lgbts, I just want to find a place where I can live my life normally. But, like you said, the rent is expensive and the only way I can find a stable job is to find a friend there and stay at his place until I can finally live and work on my own.

Thank you for your help, guys <3

8. Dalmatian

I don't know which country you are from, but south-eastern Europe leaves just a few possibilities: ex-Yugoslavian countries, Albania, Romania, Bulgaria and Greece. If it's the three older EU countries (BG, RO, GR) then there are no work permit problems for you as there is a guarantee of open job market across the Union and the interim period for those countries has passed. It hasn't yet for Croatia (up to six more years) and if it's one of the countries outside EU, school is probably the best option.

Also, don't think it has to be UK. For example, if you are Romanian, Italian language wouldn't pose a huge barrier.

#8 Dalmatian, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  9. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to live and work in the UK, all you need is a valid passport, and preferably some money before arriving - if you live in the EU. If you're an EU resident, you have the right to live and work here for as long as you want. You don't need a visa.

Edit: Dalmation covered it. If you're from somewhere like Albania or Serbia, then you need a work visa.

#9 imnotreallysure, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  10. cuppycake

Thankfully, I'm from BG, so that means I can actually go to live and work in, for example, the UK? Awesome!
    I might actually be able to do that. All I need to do is ... save LOTS of money. And find a friend or two I can visit there <3

11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, okay. Then yes, you can live and work here, no problem - or anywhere in the EU (Germany, France, Italy etc).

12. Dalmatian

Cool :slight_smile:

I don't know much about it because it wasn't an option for me when I was younger, but I think there are fairly cheap transport arrangements for younger people with the European travel card or what's-it-called.
    Really, being an EU citizen opens you a lot of possibilities. UK will treat you as an equal prospect employee to anybody else. You don't need any permits, any visas, anything. You don't even need to do any paperwork. You are not a citizen of Bulgaria, but of EU. You just go over and find a job. Not trivial, but very doable.

So, all that said, what you should do is enjoy the idea of the new-found freedom, but take some time to properly plan everything. For example, what you could do is start university in Bulgaria and transfer for a semester or two to another country. That's what Erasmus is for.

13. SeaSalt

Yay, Come live here its awesome!

(Dont come if you dont like rain!)