1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Rage Schadenfreude Question

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Pret Allez, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I realize I'm not supposed to ask legal questions here, but I am going to do it anyway.

The essence of my question is that I can provide the Highway Patrol with additional information about the behavior of a driver they detained and issued a speeding citation to. In particular, I can certify that the driver passed me on right while I was exceeding the speed limit, and I can certify an exact speed of that driver for a period of at least five minutes. I believe that were I to provide this information, it would result in either an arrest of that driver or a significant elevation of the fine. However, in the course of providing this information, I would have to expose myself to the possibility of prosecution.

So my question is, is there any possibility that I can share this information without exposing myself to criminal liability (such as by speaking on condition of immunity), or do I just have to zip my lip and simply be happy that the person got pulled over and ticketed (going a lot slower than I witnessed)?

2. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Let it go, man! Let it go. There is no benefit to you pursuing this unless you really want this person to suffer, for some reason you aren't telling us. If you go to the authorities and ask for immunity on a speeding charge, they will laugh you out of the building. And I don't believe that your account would be admissible in court unless you committed to actually testifying, and even then...? Not worth it, IMHO.

3. TraceElement

How do you know that they were given a speeding ticket? Did the police talk to you regarding the incident?

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Given the speed I knew he was driving at, his passing me on the right, his sustained speed, and unsafe following distance of other drivers over a half hour period, it was just an assumption that I made.

He could have been pulled over for a bad light or an expired tag. :slight_smile: