1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do things go from here?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by idekk, Sep 14, 2014.

1. idekk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Let me just give you some background about my life.

I live in a small suburb in Canada that is primarily white, conservative and gay people are almost non-existant. I am somewhat popular for my age, and I only know of 3 guys who are also gay. I just graduated High School hence I am 18 years old. My family is primarily men who are all very typical masculine boys who are actively involved in sports. Because all of these circumstances, it has made coming out tricky. I've known I was gay for atleast 4 years now and I have come to terms with it completely.

I use to wonder what my parents were going to think of their son being gay and I was so unsure. My mom seemed very open about it, but I knew my dad had said questionable things about the LGBT community in the past, so their responses were up in the air. That is until my dad confronted me about it not long ago. Almost a month ago, we were driving in the car. It was 11 o'clock at night and he had been drinking a bit, so slightly intoxicated, and I was driving him to the liquor store to get some booze. Breaking dead silence, he randomly starts "Okay, I'm going to ask you something. I don't want to offend you, but.. I've just been wondering.. Are you gay?"

Now, obviously that caught me entirely off guard, but as soon as he started speaking I had a feeling I knew what was coming. I don't regret my decision, but I said no. I didn't tell him, but I did ask if their was anything wrong with being gay? He responded and said absolutely not. That put a lot of my issues at bay and made me feel very comfortable with when I do decide to come out.

The bottom line is that I just don't know if I feel ready. Or even if I feel like it's fair that I do need to come out. Hear me out. Very few people would suspect that I was gay. I have had a girlfriend in the past, but not for a number of years now. I don't fall into any stereotypical category so as you would expect, the thought probably doesn't cross most people's minds which is what makes it hard. As I've recently graduated high school, I got a job as a waiter at a very nice restaurant and I work with a variety of people, all attractive, extremely social and young. They all talk about their dating lives very openly and it's always a topic of conversation which puts me in a awkward position. I usually don't even contribute to the conversation, but if someone were to ask me/address my dating life, I would just play along awkwardly and/or change the subject. Situations like this though just make "coming out" look extremely complicated. I feel like it would entirely complicate my life and I don't want it too. Sure, I want to be able to live freely, being attracted to the gender I like, but I don't want it to flip my life upside down in some moment where time seems to stop and everything changes.

I have put some thought into dating, but it's so dificult because I have no experience with guys and where to find them. It stresses me out. I don't want to be some 25 year old gay virgin because I am definitely not ugly. I am definitely not anti-social. I just don't even know where to start. I am hoping that when I go to university, I will meet other gay guys and things will go from there.

When I picture my life down the road, 15 years from now age 33.. I would ideally love to be married/in a commited relationship and parent kids in the future. That's ideal, but it seems so weird to think that it might never happen.

KSFNG:AK GALNGTLARN:LG AF

I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I am not sad, mad or frustrated YET! Simply confused. I don't even know what steps I should take first. Coming out seems like the logical first step, but I don't know if it's right time!

UGH.

Please just explain to me what some of you have done if you've ever been in a confused situation like I have.

2. Rainbows~Exist

With this being said I just don't think you're ready to come out. You may be completely at terms with your sexuality but at this present time you sound too confused about coming out and personally I think that you are over-complicating your situation. There is no solid advice for coming out really. Just wait until the time is right. Sort things out first; you'll know the time is right.

3. SeaSalt

I think that coming out is between you and people you care about, For me it was a case that everyone who cared got to know and everyone else can just sod off. It sounds like your parents are very open minded which is perfect for coming out and honestly I agree with the gentleman above me, that is you sound ready to come out.

As for letting collegues and friends know I just slipped it into a conversation casually, They were like "Waaaaaaaa" and I was like "yep" and they were like "Waaaaaa" and I was like "yep" and they were like "ok"

(I dont look like a stereotype either)

4. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you're overcomplicating it too. It's really positive that your dad's reaction was what it was; as a 24 year old let me tell you that every year you are not out, it gets that little bit harder to just do it. Seize the day; make the most of your friendships now. It may make you feel better to slowly come out to them. It's scary, but coming out puts relationships on a better footing...