1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acceptance

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CharlieChalk, Sep 14, 2014.

1. CharlieChalk

Okay so I have a question.

How do you do acceptance?

Not necessarily just on a sexuality issue (although that would be useful!) but in terms of all types of acceptance.

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you mean acceptance of yourself or other people?

3. CharlieChalk

Sorry, I probably should have specified that - I meant self acceptance :slight_smile:

4. Nick07

Hmm, I don't know. Probably by working on self-confidence/self-esteem?

5. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Basically.

How I worked up my self-esteem and confidence was by spending time around friends and helping people as I go. As many times as I repeated "you are wonderful" I never really applied it to myself, until one day, I realized how similar I felt to others and there was no reason I couldn't be wonderful myself.

Obviously I still think I'm a shitnugget, but now, I can recognize that, to others, I'm actually pretty cool and I finally found some things to be proud of.

6. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, acceptance really means that I need to fully understand what I'm accepting. Sometimes that means asking questions (to myself or others), other times that just means giving myself plenty of time to think something over and decide how I truly feel about it.

Specifically regarding my sexuality - I asked gay friends plenty of questions about their feelings before solidifying my own, and I accepted it slowly over the course of a year or so.

Of course, everything can change depending on what it is you're trying to accept. Anything in particular you're struggling with or wondering about?

7. Blossom85

Having a physical disability means that I have had to accept myself for who I am.. I have never really had issues of not accepting myself and I think the main reason is that my family, friends and even co-workers and bosses don't see me or treat me as someone with a disability.. I do have an understanding with my boss that sometimes I might need to swap shifts or change schedules because of treatments or doctors visits.. But when I am working and they are evaluating out work, I am evaualated on the work I do, not for any other reason. I do get stared at and people look at me when I am out and about in public.. But I think I have developed a strong backbone and the fact that everyone I know and am close to knows who I am inside that I just stand strong and not look at the starers.. My sister has a problem with them more then I do. I just don't let it bother me and continue with whatever it is I am doing.. It's hard to explain in a way you can do yourself, I think it just comes from very deep inside of yourself.. You make that decision on if you are going to let it bother you or not. I have taken the road that I won't let things like that get me down.