1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teacher acts weird around me since she found out I'm gay. Help?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by IrrationalNo, Sep 14, 2014.

1. IrrationalNo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My girlfriend and I are in the same study class and our teacher found out that we are dating. Which is fine!(I'm not hiding anything at school)... Except she just seems so uncomfortable around us now. I'm not sure how to explain it but it definitely doesn't feel good. I don't know what to do. I feel like I should talk to her or maybe just give her some time to process things. I mean she just found out. Any advice?

2. Really

I would leave it for a bit. See if it goes from "weird" to "fine" or "weird" to "negative".
    You're not there to make her comfortable. She's the adult. She's supposed to provide a safe environment for you.
    She might be homophobic or worried how she might handle a crush from you so if you just act normally, hopefully she'll go back to normal.

3. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know it sounds cruel, but it's technically not any of her business whether she's uncomfortable with it or not. She's a teacher, and is supposed to do her job; to teach. If she's uncomfortable with the idea or with the fact she just found out, then that's her own problem. There's nothing you can do it about it. Your teacher isn't supposed to get wrapped up in the personal lives of their students most of the time.

HOWEVER, if she does anything that makes you feel uncomfortable (like a rude remark or gesture), then you get another teacher's help.

4. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Keep a written record of every time you think that the teacher is acting oddly to you, even if it's just a funny feeling you get. If, after a time things don't return to normal, read back through your list. Maybe you'll decide that you were being oversensitve and you can let it go. If the teacher continues to give you a bad feeling, and particularly if she says anything about your situation, then you need to see your counselor, if the school has one, or your principal, and let them know that you are being made to feel uncomfortable. They are obliged to provide you with a safe environment where you don't feel like you're being watched or judged or whatever.

5. Blossom85

I agree with the other posters.. It is her job to teach the students and to make them feel like they are in a safe and happy environment.. Your personal life is not any of her business.. And it is not up to you to make her feel comfortable about it. Just keep doing what you are doing and I think of she makes you feel uncomfortable, maybe see the principal or someone higher you could speak with..

6. IrrationalNo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for your responses I really appreciate them. So after a few days of doing some reflection I have come to a conclusion. I was over reacting! Thus far the teacher has not projected herself in anyway that would suggest discomfort and even apologized for initially being unprofessional. Her slight opposition (if you can call it that?) towards me caused me to thoughtlessly characterize her actions as judgements. Partly because my classmates have thankfully never had any problems with my sexuality and to think a teacher of all people would have a problem freaked me out.