1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Stop Thinking

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ZenMusic, Sep 14, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

I think constantly, And it trips me up most of the time. I manage to have really good conversations with people when I'm not thinking I'll make myself look likyt an idiot. Also when I'm making Music, I constantly think "It has to be real. It has to vome naturally." While failing to do all 3 of those things because of my incessant analysing. How do I stop this?

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Overanalyzation?

Been there, done that - and still doing it. :/

Can you tell us what goes through your mind when you think too much, and do you know why?

3. ZenMusic

Everything. What I'm doing wrong, what I'm going to do wrong, what I'm doing well,, what I'm going to do well. It needs to be turned off.

4. Blossom85

I know how you feel, I find the time I over think is of a night when I should be sleeping or when I am alone and don't have anything much to focus on. I wish I could could you advise on now to stop over thinking and over analyzing but I am the same. I just wanted you to know you aren't alone in this.

5. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    listen to any drone created by Miley Cyrus or Justin Beiber. that should kill most of your brain cells quickly.

In all seriousness though, Try this website: http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/

It's a musical web thing, but I have it on my iPad. The app is better, in my opinion. I use it to go to sleep easier at night. I strongly suggest just sitting back and listening to the Osmosis generator. Be sure to use the "animate" button for longer listening!

It really helps to just clear your head. It's not good for the average day, walking around etc. But for being at home or something, taking a few minutes out with this would help. My favorites for sleeping are Osmosis, Stardust and Warp Speed (Spaceship). They help clear your mind loads. I'd also suggest Cat Purr, because, well, cats.

6. Benway

Benway Guest

It's difficult to stop thinking, though I can think of a variety of ways...

1.) Prescription drugs, although I'd highly advise against this.*
    2.) The Sims series of video-games and a bottle of Mountain Dew.
    3.) NPR Talk Radio at any given time of day.
    4.) Watch the worst movie you have on DVD.**
    5.) Read a book.

...those usually work for me.

* I do not advocate taking prescription drugs that aren't yours or that are yours irresponsibly.
    ** Do not watch a movie you hate, just a laughably terrible movie you happen to have on video.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People are going to hate me for this but have you been diagnosed with bipolar?

I used to be a chronic worrier and had what we call "racing thoughts" which kept me up at night because my mind wouldn't stop.

I was put on all sorts of medicine such as lithium. That didn't work. The medicine they finally settled on has stopped these racing thoughts and has also really alleviated my constant worry and catastrophizing.

Speak to a psychiatrist. First they should give you some sort of non medical coping technique. And if that doesn't work then look into talking to them about medicine. I don't just say go take pills, buy as a scientist and someone who has benefited from the medical advancements, it is not all about a medicated world. This stuff I'm on has no perceptible side effects.

Consider it. It never hurts to at least speak to a counselor or psychiatrist.

8. ZenMusic

Even when I'm dancing, if I misstep once, or I can't get the move on a few tries, I start thinking I'm a terrible dancer ( I know this isn't true.) Just would like it to stop.

9. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find myself doing the same thing. I keep myself as busy as can be

10. Hemopericardium

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Welcome to the thinker's club mate. Don't need to be to harsh on yourself. Everybody works differently. You just got to utilize this skill to your benefit.

I overthink too. I was called crazy, something like that. Yeah it hurts, like hell it does. But to tell you the truth, those are just people who don't know anything about us.

Btw mate, You are just 14, good to know you have such great insight!
    Chill and relax a bit wont you :slight_smile:

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A friend of mine recently posted on Facebook, "Back in psychology class in high school, my teacher wrote the number 39 on the board. She then told us to forget all about that number. I don't remember the teacher's name, or what grade I got in the class, or even a lot of what I learned...but I remember the number 39. Well played, teacher."

If you try to force yourself to NOT think about something...what often happens is that you end up thinking about it. So instead of trying to force yourself to just "stop thinking"...maybe you can move your thoughts in another direction? It doesn't have to be constructive or anything - just something stupid to occupy your thoughts.

So let's say you're doing a dance. You know the steps well enough, so now you need to stop over-analyzing. So...think about something else. Imagine the dance being done by a bunch of other people, and consider how that would look. "What would this dance look like being done by punk rockers, in huge boots and pink mohawks? Could gorillas do this dance? Could centaurs do that spin thing, or would they have to do something else here?"

Yeah, it's ridiculous. But it's no more ridiculous than forcing yourself to re-trod the same ground again. I do this a lot, and it actually works really well for me. It keeps my overly analytical part of my brain busy with a useless task while the rest of it does the actual dance. :slight_smile:

Lex

12. Kimika

Another thing to maybe give a try is engaging in hobbies or activities that are somewhat meditative in your spare time or just straight meditation. I used to be the same way, but I found that finding a way to clear my head and clear my thoughts mitigated this for me. It'll take a while probably to see results from it but that's like with everything worthwhile, it takes time. It may not be the same for you but thought I'd share what worked for me.

#12 Kimika, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014