1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems in Schools

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Anonymous132, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Anonymous132

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry this is a bit over the place,

I've been wondering about this issue for a while now because i understand it's extremely tricky but i can't understand why nothings being done about it.

Generally I've noticed that in Secondary Schools and College (High schools and seniors for you Americans) that kids use 'Gay' as an insult. I understand that it's such a common problem that the thought of any major progress in this area is unlikely, but i can't help but feel that next to nothing is being done by schools to stop this kind of behavior. Innocent 10/11 year old kids come up to secondary school and within six months or so they all start using 'gay' in such a blazé manner without having a thought about the consequences. Since when did it become the norm to make gay an insult? I mean in this day and age?!

It seems to me that teachers and the like seem to just say "don't say that it'll hurt someones feelings." Lets face it, as a cocky 12 year old, do you really care about someones feelings? I feel that kids should be taught that using the term gay in that manner can and generally is a very serious form of bullying that can lead to anxiety, depression and god forbid, self-harm. No one should have to hide their identity of who they are, no one should be afraid to be out, but i think that all problems of being afraid to come out generally stem from the carefree use of gay as an insult in schools. But it doesn't just stop in schools, before you know it, you've become so used to saying it that it becomes embedded in your vocabulary as a replacement word for bad.

e.g. *Misses a shot at football practice* "Ah man that shot was so gay".

Most people would say this wouldn't annoy them as it's not really directed at anyone, but to me this is just as hurtful as it feels like people can now use the word for whatever they want.

I don't know i hope people out there can understand what i'm getting at.. i'm not good at explaining. Thanks for reading and let me know if you think something can be done!

2. Ryujin

I know exactly what you're talking about, it's around me all the time. My brother even speaks like that. It isn't nice at all.

3. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Um, guilty as charged ? I don't want to make an excuse but a lot of it isn't done with homophobia? in mind. It doesn't change the source though so , ye, should be worked on . Somebody mentioned their brother and mine called me on it , and lots of other stuff before too so....he's 16, totally zen and apparently much cooler than I am( gamers pfffft).