1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good advice. But how to follow?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Really, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Really

For people asking about learning their true preferences, I've seen a number of times, people advising to "let your emotions come to the surface".

While I get this in theory, how do you put this into practice? Don't your emotions just happen? I don't have a very "reactive" personality. (I'm actually quite slow; it can take me a few hours or even a day to realize someone has been rude/offensive to me).

Most of the time if you asked me how I felt, I'd say "fine" and truly believe I meant it. Not overly good nor bad. I rarely get excited about things. In the past, when I expressed excitement, nobody has shared my enthusiasm so I guess I've learnt to keep this to myself. (I'm not excited by the same type of things as most people around me, in general).

So anyway. Is this a suggestion from therapist? How were you supposed to put it into practice?

2. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    Yeah... it's easier said than done. And when it comes to relationships, it can sometimes be difficult to pick apart friends from possible partners. If you figure things out slowly, then continue going slowly.

Also, we might be able to help more if you could give us more details. That's probably why no one has responded. Everyone "lets their emotions come to the surface", as you said, differently. It isn't really possible for us to tell you how that happens, but we can hopefully tell you how to get there if you include SOME sort of detail.

3. Really

Ok. What details?

I'm finding I'm unsure how I feel when I people watch. Not sure how I feel about different people/women, etc.

NB I am not asexual, if anyone was thinking that. I have loads of feelings in the abstract, just not in reality.

Is that what you mean? Re: details?