1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My boss doesn't believe gay people exist?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LadyRedRover, Sep 18, 2014.

1. LadyRedRover

So, I'm a babysitter for her two boys and yesterday I was chatting with her. She mentioned that someone had told her to 'go to church' for something and that it was ridiculous because she went to church every week.

I shrug and say that people always want to tell people they're going to Hell.

Then, out of NOWHERE, she starts talking about homosexuality. She doesn't realize I'm gay(somehow) but she goes on about how 'gay people don't exist', 'it's a choice', 'I'm not saying [homosexuals] are going to Hell, but there's a lot of evidence for it in the Bible'. This went on for about 10 minutes before I finally just had to leave.

The thing is, she's pretty cool otherwise. I've been working for her for about 2 months. Her kids are great, the pay is great...but I really don't want her finding out I'm gay and firing me. What should I do? Just ignore her opinion?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best to ignore and change the subject...religion is one of those things where logical well-constructed and irrefutable arguments against some of their positions have no sway whatsoever...

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If you need/like the money, I'd say just go with it. You say that she's cool otherwise, and it seems that this topic of homosexuality, isn't at the top of her agenda list. It might come up again, but you say you've known/worked for them for a month or two; if it was a bigger issue, it'd have been brought up.

I'd say, unless it becomes more so a stress inducer, as opposed to a slight annoyance, then you can handle it. Of course, you could just stop doing it, for the principle of the issue, but then she'd wonder why, you quit. That might open up a bigger problem, than having stayed has.

On the bright side, if you continue to stick around, and get to know these people, if there ever comes a time that you come out, you might be the educating factor they need, to relearn their ways and ideas about non-heterosexuality.

4. Anonymous777

Anonymous777 Guest

Very wise words :eusa_clap. I absolutely agree with Kaiser. Additionally, I think your boss is an ignorant on LGBT issues because she was brought up that way. She may be a good person, but she's wrong with her thoughts on LGBT people.

If she found out that you're gay, there would be a possibility that she accepted you and started to think differently. Of course, she could fire you too.

I would ignore her words, especially, if I need the money.