1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disowning and the Last Name

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by artist92, Sep 21, 2014.

1. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, honestly even though Im no closer to leaving, some things lately have boosted my confidence levels through the roof. But at the same time, I found out for certain, once I start transitioning, especially once I start HRT, my parents will disown me. I already will get rid of my fake name to finally change it to who I really am. But with my parents disowning me, Ive been considering changing my last name as well. I love them, but I dont want a part of a family that will never love me if I am not what they want me to be. Should I feel bad for considering this?

2. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, not at all. Do not feel bad for distancing yourself from people who are only going to cause you hurt. I plan on changing my last name too when I legally change my name.

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, not at all. This is your life - and it has always been. Do what you want to. You have the right to. And they cannot and will not have a say it in.

(*hug*)

4. Hexagon

No, it's fine. You have every right not to want people who don't want you, or treat you badly. And anyway, it's only a name. It doesn't change who your real family is, and they've made it clear they aren't part of that. Find a better one.

5. Nimun

I'm sure I'll be disowned too and I am planning on changing my last name already. Nothing wrong with it at all IMO.

6. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks y'all. It really almost scares me though. My first and middle names are just wrong, but the last name is a part of who I am. I still think its the right decision. And a really hard question is... what name do I choose now?

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2014 at 05:30 PM ----------

If anyone has any ideas, please give suggestions. I know what my first and middle name are. But I just dont know about the last one

7. SeaSalt

Praise the sun!

I cant help with the last name though, sorry.

8. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Behind the Name: Meaning of Surnames
    Best I've got, I've turned to this site for naming characters dozens of times. There's lots of different surnames in there.

Also (*hug*) it really sucks that your parents have reacted this way. :frowning2: I'm sorry and I wish I could help more.. Stay strong and be true to yourself always! Find happiness where you can. I wish you lots of love! (*hug*)

9. SeaSalt

For the record when I said Praise the Sun I meant that this was a much more hopeful sounding thread in comparison to some of your earlier threads.

(*hug*)

10. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, and yeah. Honestly I couldnt care less about my family disowning me. I fully expected it. *hugs*

11. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nope, not at all. Actually, although my father loved me, and didn't do anything terribly wrong to me, sometimes I feel like totally changing my name as well, simply because I don't feel it suits me. I have a different name in mind. So go for it, artist. Lots of folks change their names for all sorts of reasons, and you've got a pretty good reason for it. By the way, the fact that your parents kind of love you, and you love them, is a quite separate issue from the question 'is it good for you to remain in contact with them', because it's not good to be in contact with people who, whether they intend this or not, crush you and your feelings of wellbeing. And I don't think it's your parents who ought to be disowning you, but rather, the other way around. It's all been very one-sided, actually. You have tried, but they have not. I think you ought to let go of them, actually. And I don't mean, hate, no; I mean let go. I'm sure you know what I mean. You can still love them, but from a safe distance.

The above is all my own opinion, of course. Anyway glad things are a bit better for you at present, keep shining, artist! :slight_smile:

12. Blossom85

A woman changes her name when she gets married, so I don't see anything wrong with you wishing to change your name including your last name. If your family disown you, then I would wanna change my name as well if I was you.. Why have a name that gives you bad memories when you want to make new and better memories with your new name.. Do what feels right for you and don't let others make you feel bad or guilty for it.. I am glad to see some more positive posts coming from you lately.

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see anything wrong with changing your last name. I think that at this point, since you know that they are not going to be supportive, it is best for you to distance yourself as much as possible.

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's your name, not theirs. Besides, it used to be people didn't have any last names.

15. black-cat

Not at all. You are doing this for -you- and -you- are the priority here, whatever makes you comfortable. Changing your surname would be understandable!

16. KaydenWidz

Give them the chance to prove you wrong before ditching the last name. Sometimes, they'll even disown you for a while, but then come to their sences later yanno?

17. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I highly doubt it. Ive seen the texts they've sent each other. I found out that none of my siblings will be allowed to see me or ten talk about me until they are 18 once I transition. They said I will be dead totem if I do and they will not recognize my existence. Thing like that. And my parents have always bashed anyone different from them, and never apologize.

18. KaydenWidz

Oh shit, well then screw them. You dont need that kinda negativity in your life. also, if you change both at once, you dont have to pay twice.(!)

19. mfield123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would definitely change it