1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introverts and participation in class

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MyLittleWorld, Sep 22, 2014.

1. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I must say that I am very introverted person. This year I started 11th grade, and the problem is the same. I do not participate enough, I answer if I know if asked, but if not I might not talk. I am not shy, but I am really quiet. Although, during breaks at school, I can be loud and talk with everybody, including teachers; so I am not afraid to talk. It is just introvertness thing, and it is a bit hurtful because some people could see it as being dumb, having nothing to say, shy, etc. My English teacher pushes me so hard it is difficult to concentrate on thinking. I like to write, I like to think and decide about things. Even in the first grade, when teacher asked why I do not raise my hand when I know the answer, I said 'I know the answer, why I need to raise my hand and tell everyone that I know.' And teacher really see it as being dumb (in my opinion) or lacking self-confidence. If they give me the task, and give me time, I will do it, but all this talking, and discussing about things is too much. Sometimes tasks asks personal questions such as what goals do you have, and if I do not want to answer, I just say I have none. And it is pretty messed up. I am even afraid to go to my classes because of this, because I don't want my grades to fall.

So, I do not really know what to do, should I force myself to talk, or what?..:confused:

#1 MyLittleWorld, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  2. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    Is this only an issue in English class, or just school in general?

3. AsheTheHuman

I'm in the same position as you. Unfortunately I'm as lost as you are about this. I just wanted to let you know that I can relate. (*hug*)

4. discalcedtierce

I used to be the person who never answered anything in class, even though I would get the answers correct most of the time. It has taken me quite some time to get to where I will volunteer to answer, and I do think it's important to get to the point of being able to do so. Unfortunately, we live in an extroverted world and while it would be nice for them to understand us, it's not really going to happen so quickly, so I've learned how to operate in an extroverted manner and take much needed alone time when able.

5. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    School. But other teachers do not push me so hard.

6. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Frankly, as an introvert who's recently just finished uni, I'd say it doesn't really matter much. I'd say do whatever you want.

Then again, I was bullied into oblivion (not due to sexuality), so my main goal was to keep my head down.

It doesn't really matter when you're in school. In college/uni though, definitely try to speak up more.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a 100% introvert, it sort of nags me to see you describe it this way. Being loud and talking with everybody is the opposite of both shyness and introversion even if it's not all the time.

I think what you're describing in your problem area is just the value you place on participation. Where you said "I know the answer, why I need to raise my hand and tell everyone that I know?" you made a very good point. Most directly, you don't gain from saying the answer out loud. But I think operant conditioning may have something to do with it. You put yourself out there on a sort of gamble: either you get it right and get praise for being a good student (reinforcement), or you get it wrong and feel embarrassed (punishment). Granted both reward and punishment are very tiny, but they are not negligible and work to influence your behavior, hopefully for the better.

The loophole is choosing not to answer. But then you get neither reward nor punishment and you don't get as much effect from the discussion as you may have if you put a little on the line. :wink:

I didn't mean to offend by saying you aren't using "introvert" correctly. Because it seems like you do a great deal of thinking to have this sort of thing bother you. Just don't mistake introversion for a character flaw, because it really is great sometimes. :slight_smile:

8. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha being a chatty cathy myself I suppose I cant relate but don't let your teacher be mean like that. I'm friends with some more introverted people and I think they're cute :slight_smile:

9. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your answer :slight_smile:

I mentioned that I'm not afraid to talk, because people still think that introvert = shy. I sometimes can give wrong answers, because I can't concentrate. I am not the only one like this in class. He always complains about how silent and 'shy' we are 9well, not all, there is like 5 kids who talk nonstop), but the truth is he is really really talkative, he likes to manipulate and pick on less talkative students. In his eyes, if I sum everything up in my head what he says all the time, if a person is silent it means he doesn't have a character, he is nothing, and he will not achieve anything. And you see, that really hurts me.

10. Bzrk

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I struggle with this too. Thankfully since I left school it has been getting better. I think you should do whats comfortable for the most part but push yourself every now and then but if you struggle with that don't worry I know it's tough.

11. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am the opposite, if I know the answer or have a question I will raise my hand and do it. I like school, I like debating, I like having back and forths. I do not talk to anyone but my 2 friend at lunch, while walking, talk to them less than their other friends. I am an introvert but it just so happens that one of my passions is debating and learning.

12. tulipinacup

I think it doesn't matter if you are introverted or not at all. I am pretty different from you because I would volunteer answering questions by the instructors most of the time but what is holding me back is my anxiety sometimes because I'm so afraid if I might have the wrong answer, or my voice is too low, etc.

I'm not going to give you any advice but I would just want to say that it's perfectly fine to not choose to participate in recitations and writer Susan Cain said it best, "I hope you open up your suitcases for other people to see because the world needs you and it needs the things you carry"