1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my GSA is so screwed up

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Celatus, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's all "straight" people pff. And I'm like why the heck does my school even have a GSA if ALL the people in it are straight. I think some of them just don't have the guts to come out. I told this dude in GSA that I needed a bi friend and he was like I'm straight. Pfff lol yeah right said kid who definitely does not look straight. I mean man up or something. It's not like I'd tell everyone I met. Gah I think I'll go crazy if I don't find someone to actually talk to in my school. I mean it's statistically impossible that our school doesn't have at least several gay and bisexual guys. I mean wtf? Screw it I'm coming out and hopefully others will come to me. Honestly, I am kind of shocked. Can anybody relate to this? :bang:
    Geez if this forum didn't exist I don't know WHO I'd talk to.
    Ugh I'm beginning to just hate being out guys. It feels freaking lonely :frowning2:

#1 Celatus, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  2. ERA

ERA

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Based off of Kinsey's research, statistically there should have been 12 lgbt students in my graduating class. Almost 15 years later and knowing a fair number on Facebook, I'm pretty sure I know two other bisexuals, but the other 9 of us are still hiding.

3. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh God I have that sinking pit feeling of anxiety and I'm starting to really regret coming out. Lesson learned the world is not a tolerant place :'(
    I used to sort of want people to know but now I feel like I don't want anyone to know. God I need a shoulder to cry on. Judgemental people suck. There are so many misconceptions of gay people that I feel kind of uncomfortable when people ask me about being bisexual. Anyone :frowning2:
    Lol at least I'm not all depressed like last year, I'm just trying to deal with the after effects of coming out. Lol people always kind of just assumed I was straight so now they're like waaaaaaah? Feeling like shit right now.

#3 Celatus, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  4. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    Nah, people being scared doesn't make the world intolerant. If everyone became convinced that it wasn't, things might move a little more quickly. Stay strong!

5. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Patience is a virtue, if those several others are hiding out there they'll come to terms eventually. Until then your just gonna have to wait and be patient.

6. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks guys :slight_smile: lol I feel kind of angry but it'd be pretty awful to force people out. Whatever I'll be done with my school this year anyway.

7. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

GSA's always struck me as a weird thing like the sentiment is nice but why not just make a LGBTQ club instead, i dont need no straight approval

8. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know but at the same time I don't think anybody would go if no straight people were in it anyway ugh. Social problems are interesting...
    But seriously screw my conservative backwards school. Holy shit I don't want to be THAT guy. :frowning2:
    But I'm pretty sure most people know anyway so f*ck it.

9. ERA

ERA

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't let your frustration ruin your last year of high school. Just have to be like Taylor Swift and shake it off. :slight_smile:

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's basically a very clever scam to allow closeted LGBTQ people to hang out together, become comfortable with themselves, and come out. If it was actually an LGBTQ club at a typical high school, it would have no members because almost no one would admit to being gay. By framing itself as a gay *straight* alliance, the closeted people can join without worrying about being labeled as gay by the rest of the school.

One of the running jokes is that you will almost never find a genuinely straight male GSA president (unless, perhaps, he had gay dads or moms), but you will find plenty of straight female GSA presidents because fag hags. :slight_smile:. So when you have a straight male GSA president, it's near certain he's closeted. A stereotype, certainly... But often, perhaps usually, true.

11. Rainbow Girl

I recommend if you're looking for more LGBT people to talk to, see if there's some LGBT youth groups or activities in your area you can get involved with.

12. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I should look into that haha but I'll have to make up some reason for going somewhere XD
    Lol I'm pretty sure the guys in my gsa are just too scared to come out.

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's too bad. If it were more "safe" for straight men to show their support for gay rights openly, I'm sure we could have made more strides by now.

I've heard of heterosexual allies, who because of friends, family members, or partners, are involved in queer organizations and events, but they're more of an exception than anything else.

Our clubs seem to have a nice balance of both, which isn't too bad for a conservative area. Chances are the people in your club know of others who are openly gay or bisexual, and can lead you to them?

14. ^What Chip Said

It's all about labels, basically. A rather clever way for kids to creep out of the closet but retain deniability.

Forget the label conversation altogether, assume everyone is not completely straight and just hang out with the guys you find cute/get on with. If there's a spark there, then tell them you'll keep everything secret if they want.

15. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I joined a GSA dinner group here. I honestly don't think there is a single straight guy in it, or if they are, they are acting pretty gay for straight guys. I suspect that most of the guys in your GSA are gay and closeted, so if you want to get a bit closer to any of them in a private setting, don't be surprised if they are "gayer" than you think, when it is just the two of you, out of sight to others.

16. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    I just want to mention that the GSA at my school renamed itself the Gender Sexuality Alliance, whereas they used to be the "Gay Straight Alliance". I think it's an awesome change. Food for thought.

17. DaVinciPrincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm in a similar boat. My GSA is basically just a bunch of catty straight girls who want to seem caring and tolerant. The majority of my school's LGBT population avoids the GSA like a plague for that reason.

18. ajsivy

im sorry to hear about this Who hosts your gsa is it a teacher or a social worker and are they lgbt. And i know judgmental people suck i have always been a bit weird and i have just learned to ignore the haters and be myself

19. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol my gsa leader is actually a really cool gay guy, the other dudes not so much.

20. WannaBeMe

Well there is one person that is gay in your GSA. Why don't you suggest to the president/leader to have a survey on the sexuality percentages of the club. Anonymous of course.