1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding out if a college is LGBT friendly

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ChameleonSoul, Sep 22, 2014.

1. ChameleonSoul

Even though I know that times are changing, I'm still aware that there are still people that discriminate against LGBT people. I'm going to be graduating high at the end of this year and I am beginning to apply to colleges. However, I want to be out from the get go when I get there and it would be ideal that I don't get harassed or even expelled for being who I am. I have thought about asking about discrimination policies during campus tours, but I was (and still am) afraid to come out to my family and didn't want them raising an eyebrow by me asking that.

Does anyone know how I could find out how friendly a campus would be for me without it getting back to my family? Do you have any recommendations on what to look for?

2. Feijoa

There's a couple of places you can look before getting there that will help you with working out how LGBT welcoming/friendly a university is.

You can Google for "Campus Pride Index" which lists US universities, and also have scholarships listed. You can also check out the Princeton Review for LGBT campuses. There's a semi-list of universities and some quotes in this BuzzFeed article:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/clairepires/the-25-best-colleges-and-universities-for-lgbt-students#zzj9ow

If you're looking at what universities offer, you can also see how many or if a university has a LGBT sorority or fraternity. You don't have to join one, but knowing they are there is a good indication of a healthy LGBT-accepting environment. Here's a list from wikipedia:

List of LGBT and LGBT-friendly fraternities and sororities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you investigate some of the campuses you are interested, it could be possible to talk to members or student reps of the fraternity/sorority, or LGBT group on campus, and that may help you with getting some answers before you visit.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

3. ChameleonSoul

Thanks for the info Feijoa! This just made my college search a whole lot easier.

4. Feijoa

Glad to help! Hope you find a uni and best of luck :slight_smile:

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look up Campus Pride Index