1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Join GSA?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Artistic Ferret, Sep 22, 2014.

1. I am a freshman in high school and my school has a GSA. I really do want to be a part of it and it might actually help me meet new people. My school seems very accepting I always seem to notice lots of LGBTQ kids and I know that although I may face some criticism at least I can be myself. So the problem isn't school it's my overly religious family. My mom always wants to know where I am at all times so if I joined GSA I would most likely end up outed. It's a great opportunity but I don't know if it's worth the risk. She would hate me I hear her negative views on LGBTQ topics all the time it really sucks but GSA seems like an outlet. Any advice I need help?

2. That's a tough situation to be in. :frowning2:

I'm not a member of my school's GSA, but when I went to a meeting last year, discretion was emphasized. People could tell their parents that they were joining some thing called "not in our school" or something like that, which was advertised as an anti-bullying group. This way, kids could get their parents' approval for meetings while still being able to be closeted. Is this the way your GSA works? Ask around. I'm sure they have prevention methods in place so that closeted kids don't get outed to unaccepting parents.

3. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sucks man but at least there's actual gay or bi people in your GSA. Mine consists of "straight" people. Lol yeah no one has the freaking guts to admit anything to anyone. I'm going to go there and just surprise the shit out of people :grin:
    I mean it's gotta happen sometime better now than later, I just hope it doesn't become one of those terrible rumors.

4. Thanks guys I will think about all of these things I appreciate the advice :slight_smile:

5. Please don't make fun of people who are too afraid to come out. While it's commendable that you are comfortable enough to come out, others may not be, or they may not even realize that they are LGB. Also, just because you expect somebody to be gay/bi/pan/whatever does not mean they are, and your being disrespectful of their sexualities is not okay, considering the discrimination we go through.

6. I agree some people simply aren't ready to come out it's not fair to judge them.

7. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry guys, I would never force anyone to come out that would be really mean :/

8. It's okay. :slight_smile: Maybe, by virtue of being out yourself, you'll make those who are questioning or in the closet more confident and able to come out to themselves or others.

9. WannaBeMe

You could very easily join and say you're in something else and ask them to play along for questions that your mom asks.

10. Virginiavirgin1

I joined mine expecting the worst, but it has helped me make some fantastic friends (gay and straight). I've found it to be very worth my while. It might just have to be something you decide whether or not you are ready for.