1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Never enough

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CrazyAwkward, Sep 25, 2014.

1. CrazyAwkward

I feel like I'm always trying but never getting anywhere. Or, I'm getting somewhere, but so slowly that I might not live long enough to actually get there.

I'm not as comfortable with myself as I want to be or should be. I work at it, and I start getting there, but then it all slips away and suddenly I'm back at square one.
    I'm not as capable socially as I want to be. I work at it really hard, start to feel like I'm getting there, like I can function like an actual human being, but always end up falling short. And again, back to square one.

All that effort and it's never enough. And I can't help but feel like I'll never be enough. I do my best to stay positive. I know all I can do is keep trying, but sometimes I get so tired that it's hard to see the point. And right now I'm really tired and feel so empty and alone. Can anyone relate? Have any tips on how to get through the ups and downs?

2. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Hey, sorry to hear about this stuff you are dealing with. I hear you on getting tired, tired of trying. Can you give yourself a break, maybe just say "today, I'll be lazy?" or something?

I try to keep distractions handy, I'm a history buff, and sometimes when I'm down and exhausted and want to give up, I'll do something that's comfort for me: read about World War 2 battles. It's not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but reading about say, tank tactics in defense, well that uses an *entirely* different part of my brain, and it's a real rest. Mow, I'm not saying become a tactician, just suggesting that some interest or passion might give you a break. :slight_smile:

Try to hang in there. A few days ago, I was drowning in despair. Now, I've learned so much, made new friends, connected with life. :slight_smile:

You can do it. :slight_smile:

3. Webman777

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry to hear you're going through things like this. What Starfleet said was good advice. I myself don't feel like "I'm not enough", but I do often get really depressed and lonely and feel like I'm not moving in any direction / going anywhere in life even though I'm working towards things. My advice is similar to that of Starfleet, try to distract yourself a little, get some hobbies, stay moving. When I start to feel depressed, I start working on something like building a computer or trying to learn something like programming or circuitry. When I start to feel lonely, I try to get out of the house and hike, take pictures of things (photography), or if the weather is bad I'll just drive around (explore) or find a little family owned place to eat where the staff is friendly.

4. Bane

Winnipeg, Canada (aka temporary paradise)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey there. Sad to say I'm on the same yacht as you but no matter, glad I have a few friends I can rely on whenever I feel on the "low-low". So hang tight! You can turn things around. We are here for you.

5. CrazyAwkward

Thanks for the responses and advice :slight_smile:

There are a few hobbies that I could throw myself into, but it's been hard to find the motivation lately. This has happened a bunch of times in the past. After I manage to force myself into an activity I do start to feel a rekindled interest though. I guess I'll try a little harder to sit myself down with a book or something when I get out of work today, see how that goes.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

6. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

:slight_smile: Hi. It's not like you have to excel at it, just maybe the distraction will help you rest. These journeys aren't easy, I know I get so tired at times.

7. TheStormInside

I definitely relate, my social skills are also subpar and I am often struggling with just keeping myself together with work and bills and life. It can be hard to add socializing or hobbies ontop of that. But I do find, like the others have said, that it can help to take that time out to do something you enjoy. I also find when I am starting to get really drained I do need to take a "lazy day" here or there where I just kind of hang out and watch sci fi or cartoons and do the minimal amount of "stuff" I need to that day. It kind of helps to recharge the batteries every now and then.

Off topic, but I really like your avatar, I'm a big Adventure Time fan and I love Marceline :slight_smile: .

8. CrazyAwkward

Hey :slight_smile: It does get tiring, I feel ya there. I'm actually looking forward to the distraction now, which is nice after being disinterested in anything the past day or so. I think it'll help me get back on track :slight_smile:

I know what you mean. It's all a lot to deal with. Lazy days do help a lot. Hopefully I'll be able to have one of those soon. It's been awhile since I've had a good scifi marathon.

And thank you :slight_smile: Adventure Time is awesome! Marceline is one of my favorites as well.

9. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't feel like you have to be accomplishing a million things, just relax and feel good that you are doing something you enjoy. When you enjoy something, it isn't a waste of time :slight_smile:

10. CrazyAwkward

Haha that's true :slight_smile: I'll keep that in mind.