1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I find other LGBT people?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ChameleonSoul, Sep 26, 2014.

1. ChameleonSoul

Over the past few months I've started to come out to some of my friends. Even though these experiences have been positive for the most part, I feel alone as I don't have anyone in person that I can relate to (everyone I've told is straight). Don't get me wrong, I love this forum and everyone that's a part of EC, but I just think that it'd be good if I also had people in person that I could talk to about everything without it being awkward. Unfortunately I am having trouble finding ways to meet people my age that are also LGBT. The area that I'm in is pretty accepting (and I suppose I should be grateful for that) but it's also somewhat rural and there aren't any nearby places that I could get to easily. My school is on the smaller side, so there hasn't been much support for a GSA. There are some, but not that many LGBT people in my school that are out yet, seeming as how my high school only has a bit over 500 students. I was thinking of possibly going to the pride center about 20-30 minutes from my house but I won't have my license until February and coming out to my family just isn't an option right now. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do in this situation? :help:

2. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you get an allowance or maybe do a few odd jobs if you have a little money maybe you could take a cab to the even ? As far as having a friend i know that it is not the same thing but if you ever need to talk,vent,scream or even cry I would be glad to be there for you just let me know :slight_smile:

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its very positive to make friendships with other gay people in real life so you are doing a good thing

The other thing to do is just be more part of general social groups in your area and the chances of bumping in to someone who happens to be gay and making friends with them is greatly increased. Like maybe joining hobby groups, activity groups, hiking, canoeing, gaming, stamp collecting (not really!)

Will you be going on to university or something when you leave school - then things really do change

I wish you luck

4. ChameleonSoul

I do plan on going to college next year so it should get better eventually. I'm just not sure if I can make it until then.

I do know of one person who is gay that I could see myself being friends with. He's out to some people, but still pretty much in the closet. We're in a few clubs together so I have that to start a conversation with. I just don't know how I would bring up my closet without making things awkward... :help:

5. AsheTheHuman

Well, it's probably not best to walk up to him and go "Hey, my name's Chameleon, and I'm gay!" You're in clubs together, so you already share some interests. Talk to him about those things first. Once you're comfortable together, and a chance arises, just tell him. It's not awkward if you don't make it awkward. Who knows? Maybe he'll come out to you first! In any case, good luck!

6. Candace

I mean, this forum can be a start :grin:. Aside from that, check and see if your area has an LGBT center or meetup groups. You'll find that there are many nearby and that you can meet people just like you :slight_smile:. I assume that you're going to college really soon as well, and once you go there, find an LGBT alliance on campus. There's bound to be one and you'll find a place to call as your other home :slight_smile:.

7. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dude I'm in a similar situation, I don't know where I can find other guys to relate to in terms of my orientation. And no license so yeah...

8. ChameleonSoul

Actually, he is already out to me. If he had his way he wouldn't be, but he is. Long story short, last year I accidentally found out he was gay through ye old Freudian slip. When I found out, I was still questioning and there were two other people around me, so I never mentioned my sexual orientation. He doesn't know (at least I don't think he knows) that I am gay, and just thinks that I am an ally. Will this make things easier? I don't know...