1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christianity...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Abdadhie, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Abdadhie

So, before begin I'll tell you about my religious 'status'. I was baptised catholic when I was 1 and attended church until I was about 7. The last mass I attended was in 2009 on easter in Germany. I no longer believe in god.

What I want to know is... Does anyone else wonder/ worry that Christianity is real and if we (as homosexuals) are going to go to hell. I wonder the same about most religions that condemn being gay. Do most Christians condemn being LGBT.

Thanks for your help!

2. LadyRedRover

As a gay Christian and Buddhist, both of which are slightly anti-LGBT, I'd like to chime in on this one :slight_smile:

In a nutshell, no, I don't worry about it. The Bible has been translated over and over, books have been removed and added...but, the message you see in the Bible, over and over and over again, is that God is love, mercy, kindness, and hope.

The devil can only mimic God. So, if I see 1,500+ verses saying that God loves me no matter what and wants me to be happy, should I pay attention to the 6 verses saying that I'm going to Hell for loving someone? NO!!! I honestly believe that those verses were manipulated in such a way throughout time that they're no longer God's word and don't bear His intention.

Now, for the Buddhist side. Buddhism is surprisingly complicated but can be summed up in two words, 'deny yourself'. Deny your ego, your possessions, and everything that holds you to this plane of existence so that you can reach nirvana, or supreme enlightenment.

For many Buddhists, this means to deny homosexual feelings because they believe that they're based off of lust of the flesh. However, the Buddha says not to just accept everything that you are taught and that even if he was the one saying it, to run it through your own common sense and experience before deciding whether something is right or wrong.

All in all, I don't believe the problem is gay people. I don't even believe the problem is religion. What I do believe the problem to be is blind followers. People who DON'T research and meditate on what they learn about their religion. The problem is people who go to church every Sunday and hear the preacher say 'this person is going to hell, that person is going to hell, and, oh!, don't forget to tithe!' and assume their responsibilities over their own spirituality end there without using their brain to decide if it's right or wrong.

Haha, sorry for the rant ^_^; I hope that helped a little?

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Christianity is complicated. So many different perspectives and beliefs that it is easy to get the wrong perception of things. That is mainly because of religion. All religions have different perspectives of what their religion beliefs and it can get very confusing.

Ministers developed church organizations and all have their own christian doctrine. Jesus actually disliked religion and thought everyone should have their own journey of what it is to be a christian instead of listening to some preacher. There is only God, one truth and one way when it comes to being a christian in general and if people could unite on that truth the world would be a better place.

The main point is Homosexuality was never condemned in the bible and there were homosexual couples loved by Jesus in the bible such as David and Johnathan, Ruth and Naomi, and Daniel and Ashpenaz, the Centurion and the servant, and the Ethiopian Eunuch.

The reason for that was the bible was never written in English and was miswritten by english men who created english bibles. If you take the English version of any bible literally your gonna probably get the wrong picture. The sad thing most people don't have the time to do this and rather be brainwashed by some bigoted preacher. Don't get me wrong not all preachers are bigoted but they are the loudest sadly to say.

Most importantly when Jesus died on the Cross he died for all our sins and made us born again. That means you are saved by Jesus and no matter what you are loved by him and will enter the the kingdom of heaven. That powerful verse is John 3:16. Now that does mean you can be this horrible person God wants you to be good and do good because of what Jesus did for us. God loves you and you are a child of god no matter how you were born. Because God does not make any mistakes.

4. Vaettfang

I know that feeling.
    My family is Christian, but I'm currently not sure if I believe in God or not. Anyway, I believe that the Bible specifically stated that homosexuality is a sin. But it also said God forgave every sin. I lost my girlfriend after coming out because homosexuality is against her religion. We're still friends, but I've got a boyfriend now. :3

5. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I too am a gay Christian and I very much agree with this quote from LadyRedRover. I don't think the problem is Christianity, the problem is some churches and the leadership of those churches (but the church and its preachers are not Christianity). I do think it's important to reiterate that it is some churches and preachers and not all.

I think a very significant number of Catholics (and Christians more generally) don't hold with their churches viewpoint on homosexuality, abortion, birth control or the role of women. Fortunately, the Catholic Church now seems to have a leader who has woken up to that fact, so there is yet hope.

6. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    God loves you for who you are :slight_smile:
    As long as you are kind to and accepting of others, you will be just fine. Also I'm not much of a religious person myself, my views tend to differ a lot, I mostly like my church for the community feel :slight_smile:
    I go to a methodist church that is far more tolerant

7. SeaSalt

Any God who cares more about who I want to pork than he does all the death he caused doesnt deserve my time, furthermore I am not the one who should be begging for forgiveness.

Besides if god is a douche and the devil is the antichrist then he sounds like my kind of guy! Think of all the great people that would have been forsaken to hell which im sure would be air conditioned and tastefully decorated by now.

Personaly I like the Norse way of valor and a good death. In a nutshell god promised peace on earth, Odin promised to kill all the Frost Giants......I dont see many Frost Giants!

This post was more a mixture of thoughts that dont really tie in with eachother. Make of them what you will.

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah, I don't worry about it. :slight_smile:

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I might not be a good Christian, but I am a good theist, and my God sees the beauty of every kind of love. Harm and destruction are the only sins.

I feel people should act humbly and ask for forgiveness (from God or just other people) for our various faults, but being gay is not something that needs forgiving.

#9 Argentwing, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  10. paisleydaisy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Leviticus 20:13- If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives.

Leviticus 20:9 - All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense.

Leviticus 20:10 - If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death.

Leviticus 21:9 - A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death.

Exodus 31:12-15 - The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.'

Dueteronomy 18:21-22 - But any prophet who claims to give a message from another god or who falsely claims to speak for me must die.' You may wonder, 'How will we know whether the prophecy is from the LORD or not?' If the prophet predicts something in the LORD's name and it does not happen, the LORD did not give the message. That prophet has spoken on his own and need not be feared.

There is of course much, much more where this came from. God wants people put to death for all kinds of abominations. Funny how so many Christians only take the one about gays seriously. Maybe it's because they already have a problem with gays in their own hearts, and so gravitate to this verse while ignoring all the other reasons God says someone should be put to death.