1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling Worthless

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by phoenix89, Sep 28, 2014.

1. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have had a hard time lately with my self worth. There has been times where I have felt absolutely worthless and like I am a burden to others. I have talked with a friend of mine about it, but at the same time how much can he do? I have dealt with a lot lately including coming out, losing my faith and still trying to come to terms with the passing of my Mom. It has been a little over a year and a half since she died but it still has been difficult.

I hate feeling like this. Sure it is not all the time, and it is a lot less often then it used to be. However, I still have times when I feel worthless and like a burden. It is just hard and coming out helped me become more self confident, but that doesn't mean that it was not an easy process, it has actually been really difficult and hard. I spent so many years trying to hide it and now I am trying to process all those years of denial and that sucks, it really does.

2. AsheTheHuman

If you're feeling worthless (and that's all this is- feelings) then go out and help people. Find a soup bus, even a religion affiliated one would be happy to have you I'm sure. Drop off a sandwich to a homeless person you see out and about. Even helping people through this website. And remember, you're not worthless, even if that's what you feel. (*hug*)

3. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Ashley is right. :slight_smile: Helping folks here, and getting helped by folks here, has helped me thru despair.

Coming out *is* hard. Losing faith is painful. I've done both. I *know*. Talk to us. Work it out. You can do it. You are worth it.

4. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aw yeah I felt like a piece of crap and had very low self esteem for many years. See a therapist, mine helped me a lot :slight_smile:

5. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone. I can try to help out others, probably going to have to be on here since anything with church is a no go. How many churches want an Atheist volunteering.

I really can't go and see a therapist as I have no health insurance.

6. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Hey, that's good. My friends here *literally* saved my life. :slight_smile: Be here with us. :slight_smile:

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Phoenix. This past 18 months hasn't exactly been a joyride for you, so there is no wonder you have bad days. It's to be expected. You have experienced the loss of your Mom, the loss of your faith and the loss that arises through coming out too. In many ways there is a level of inter-connectedness in all of these issues and that's most likely giving rise to the loss of self worth. If you are actually able to see some better days amid all of this you are doing remarkably well. There are so many people who would have totally cracked under the strain.

I don't know how you feel about self help, but if you can't afford therapy could you maybe do a bit of reading up/research on loss and grief issues and associated coping strategies?

Just wondering, did you come out before or after your Mom's passing?

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll third the call to go volunteer. Also, I'd suggest making sure you set time each week to do some stuff that you really like to do. Whether that's going to the movies, or drawing, or ping pong, or whatever. Because that's you doing something nice for you. That's you saying "I'm worthwhile enough to give this time to myself so I can enjoy myself." Then, go enjoy yourself. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. thischick7

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think you are incredibly brave, and just going through some things that would be difficult for anyone to deal with. Coming out is so hard, but it will all be worth it. You are now able to live you life freely, and remain true to yourself. Kudos to you. The hardest part is over. Maybe joining an LGBT meetup group or something would be a good way to replace the social interaction that you may have once gotten through your religious group?

10. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Based on what you say I think your just going though a phase of self doubt because of the events in your life that have probably changed you. I think you need to find a purpose in life then pursue it. That will give you an endless supply of self assurance.

11. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really has not been. Yea there has been a lot of loss that has occurred. When I lost my faith I not only my faith but also my community, a lot of my support networks, and a lot of friends, sure I could try to be friends with them, but it would be awkward.

I can see better days, there was a time when I did crack on the strain. I stayed in bed for a couple of days, but I have come a long way since then.

I have started talking more to friends, and on here. I am not trying to bottle it up anymore. When I am upset, I talk with my best friend or post on here. I can research self-help information, thanks for the advice.

To answer your, my Mom passed before I came out. My Mom passed on January 21, 2013, I came out as questioning on February 20, 2014 as Bi on March 20 and I lost my faith on May 18.

---------- Post added 29th Sep 2014 at 05:50 PM ----------

Thanks for the responses. I will look into volunteering opportunities, most in my town are religious based so they are out of the question, so I will have to see what I can do.

12. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Why don't you try antidepressants? That helps some people.

13. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have the money for a doctor.

14. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

How are you feeling today? :slight_smile:

15. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm feeling pretty good, thanks for asking. This is not an everyday feeling anymore which is pretty awesome.

16. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

I'm glad to hear that. :slight_smile: Please remember, you aren't alone. I'm online a lot, if you'd like to talk.

17. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone