1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My youth pastor is talking more and more about sexuality!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by WannaBeMe, Sep 28, 2014.

1. WannaBeMe

Okay, so I don't know how many other LGBT people are christian like me. But I still go to my church that is ignorant about my sexuality. My youth pastor has been getting into the whole sexuality subject more and more. He is even offering a series of sermons on dating. Which will include stuff on sexuality. It is constantly getting to me whenever he brings it up. I honestly don't know how much longer I can go without saying something or doing something that will give myself away. Every time he mentions anything about gay marriage being wrong or sinful I get a very hostile glare on my face that I try extremely hard to suppress. If he talks about sexuality (there is a difference) I get a little tensed up and my heart rate jumps up a ton.
    This January our church high-schoolers and another church's high-schoolers are going to join together for a winter camp trip. And there are going to be dorm like sleeping arrangements. At least so i'm told. Chances are i'm gonna start crushing on the guy in my dorm. Which sucks greatly.
    What is even worse is that I have a feeling that something about sexuality is going to get started whether it be from a youth leader or one of the other kids. I am truly terrified that something along those lines is gonna get started. Anywhere from something in a sermon to someone bashing gay rights and stuff.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!
    :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

2. Dakeli27

If you really don't want to come out, there really isn't that much you can do without someone suspecting. If you're willing to risk it, you can point out how the bible never condemns gay marriage and only explicitly condemns gay sex in Leviticus, which also condemns eating shellfish and wearing mixed fabrics. Tell your pastor you think it's more important to follow Jesus's message of love and acceptance.

3. SeaSalt

Well you dont need to come out as gay in order to make a stand. Here are a few ideas for the bible bashers who dont seem to follow a fair portion of the "good" book themselves.

"Whoever blasphemes the name of the Lord shall be put to death. The whole community shall stone him." Leviticus 24:15

"If the tokens of virginity were not found in the young woman, then you shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones..."
    Deuteronomy 22:20

"For the wife does not rule over her own body, but the husband does..."
    1 Corinthians 7:4

"As in all the churches of the saints, the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church."
    1 Corinthians 14:34

"Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor."
    Timothy 2:11

And the real clencher

"Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him. Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord." (Leviticus 19: 17-18)

It seems to me that these people arent following the bible very well. Gay people are sinners but women are allowed to teach, thats the line they seem to have drawn. Worth pointing out that a woman telling me not to bone other men is her trying to have authority over me a man and she must therefore be stoned to death! also the penalty for not following these rules is being forced to eat your own children so...

Seriously where the hell is all this crap

Any person who curseth his father or mother must be killed
    ~Leviticus 20:9

If a man has sex with a woman on her period, they are both to be cut off from their people
    ~Leviticus 20:18

People who have flat noses, or are blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God
    ~Leviticus 21:17-18

Anyone who dreams or prophesizes anything that is against God, or anyone who tries to turn you from God, is to be put to death
    ~Deuteronomy 13:5
    (The funny thing about this is that it goes against one of the ten commandments..."thou shalt not kill")

The eating of fat is prohibited forever
    ~Leviticus 3:17

Entrance into the assembly of the Lord was granted only to those with complete testicles
    ~Deuteronomy 23:1

Stubborn children were to be stoned, and the stoning was to be instigated by their parents
    ~Deuteronomy 21:18-21

False prophets are to be killed by their own parents
    ~Zechariah 13:3

If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property
    ~Exodus 21:20-21

If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives
    ~Deuteronomy 22:28-29

If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters - yes, even his own life - he cannot be my disciple
    ~Luke 14:26

But clearly the part about same sex stuff is all true....right.....RIGHT!

LETS JUST IGNORE ALL THIS STUFF

1. Burning any yeast or honey in offerings to God (2:11)

2. Failing to include salt in offerings to God (2:13)

3. Eating fat (3:17)

4. Eating blood (3:17)

5. Failing to testify against any wrongdoing you’ve witnessed (5:1)

6. Failing to testify against any wrongdoing you’ve been told about (5:1)

7. Touching an unclean animal (5:2)

8. Carelessly making an oath (5:4)

9. Deceiving a neighbour about something trusted to them (6:2)

10. Finding lost property and lying about it (6:3)

11. Bringing unauthorised fire before God (10:1)

12. Letting your hair become unkempt (10:6)

13. Tearing your clothes (10:6)

14. Drinking alcohol in holy places (bit of a problem for Catholics, this ‘un) (10:9)

15. Eating an animal which doesn’t both chew cud and has a divided hoof (cf: camel, rabbit, pig) (11:4-7)

16. Touching the carcass of any of the above (problems here for rugby) (11:8)

17. Eating – or touching the carcass of – any seafood without fins or scales (11:10-12)

18. Eating – or touching the carcass of - eagle, the vulture, the black vulture, the red kite, any kind of black kite, any kind of raven, the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl, the white owl, the desert owl, the osprey, the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat. (11:13-19)

19. Eating – or touching the carcass of – flying insects with four legs, unless those legs are jointed (11:20-22)

20. Eating any animal which walks on all four and has paws (good news for cats) (11:27)

21. Eating – or touching the carcass of – the weasel, the rat, any kind of great lizard, the gecko, the monitor lizard, the wall lizard, the skink and the chameleon (11:29)

22. Eating – or touching the carcass of – any creature which crawls on many legs, or its belly (11:41-42)

23. Going to church within 33 days after giving birth to a boy (12:4)

24. Going to church within 66 days after giving birth to a girl (12:5)

25. Having sex with your mother (18:7)

26. Having sex with your father’s wife (18:8)

27. Having sex with your sister (18:9)

28. Having sex with your granddaughter (18:10)

29. Having sex with your half-sister (18:11)

30. Having sex with your biological aunt (18:12-13)

31. Having sex with your uncle’s wife (18:14)

32. Having sex with your daughter-in-law (18:15)

33. Having sex with your sister-in-law (18:16)

34. Having sex with a woman and also having sex with her daughter or granddaughter (bad news for Alan Clark) (18:17)

35. Marrying your wife’s sister while your wife still lives (18:18)

36. Having sex with a woman during her period (18:19)

37. Having sex with your neighbour’s wife (18:20)

38. Giving your children to be sacrificed to Molek (18:21)

40. Having sex with an animal (18:23)

41. Making idols or “metal gods” (19:4)

42. Reaping to the very edges of a field (19:9)

43. Picking up grapes that have fallen in your vineyard (19:10)

44. Stealing (19:11)

45. Lying (19:11)

46. Swearing falsely on God’s name (19:12)

47. Defrauding your neighbour (19:13)

48. Holding back the wages of an employee overnight (not well observed these days) (19:13)

49. Cursing the deaf or abusing the blind (19:14)

50. Perverting justice, showing partiality to either the poor or the rich (19:15)

51. Spreading slander (19:16)

52. Doing anything to endanger a neighbour’s life (19:16)

53. Seeking revenge or bearing a grudge (19:18)

54. Mixing fabrics in clothing (19:19)

55. Cross-breeding animals (19:19)

56. Planting different seeds in the same field (19:19)

57. Sleeping with another man’s slave (19:20)

58. Eating fruit from a tree within four years of planting it (19:23)

59. Practising divination or seeking omens (tut, tut astrology) (19:26)

60. Trimming your beard (19:27)

61. Cutting your hair at the sides (19:27)

62. Getting tattoos (19:28)

63. Making your daughter prostitute herself (19:29)

64. Turning to mediums or spiritualists (19:31)

65. Not standing in the presence of the elderly (19:32)

66. Mistreating foreigners – “the foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born” (19:33-34)

67. Using dishonest weights and scales (19:35-36)

68. Cursing your father or mother (punishable by death) (20:9)

69. Marrying a prostitute, divorcee or widow if you are a priest (21:7,13)

70. Entering a place where there’s a dead body as a priest (21:11)

71. Slaughtering a cow/sheep and its young on the same day (22:28)

72. Working on the Sabbath (23:3)

74. Inflicting an injury; killing someone else’s animal; killing a person must be punished in kind (24:17-22)

75. Selling land permanently (25:23)

76. Selling an Israelite as a slave (foreigners are fine) (25:42)

YES LETS IGNORE ALL OF THESE THINGS MOST OF WHICH ARE PUNISHABLE BY DEATH BUT THE PART ABOUT TWO GUYS SCREWING GETS TO STAY!

sorry, Im not a fan of the way some idiots blindly follow religion whilst not actually following it at all.

4. QueenOrange

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    U have to remember the pastor is just a man. Not God. You do not know what he does in his private life. Is he just preaching out of ignorance or even hiding his own secret. Take the kindness and find your own moral basis and ignore the rest. Dont try to crush on anyone. Just try to enjoy people's company

5. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OmittedFlunky just broke Christianity lol. I'm not religious myself, but if you want to keep your belief in god you just have to remind yourself that HE is the one who is sinning by preaching hate against his fellow man, and you. You are not wrong. He is, and everyone who agrees with him is in the wrong. You might just have to do your best to fly under the radar until you are an adult.

6. SextonOutlaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kudos to OmittedFlunky!

I would just say that if you feel the need for religion, at least stick to one that does not view you as anything less than majestic. If you don't have a choice about where you are attending, then make the best of it. As mentioned, you can take a stand without necessarily coming out. Likely you are not the only person bothered by the ignorance.

However, know that if you stay with this type of church and stand up, there will be backlash. It's the nature of the beast.

Do you want a place you can have acquaintances who know a piece of you, or a place where you are known but face open conflict? In a church, you have to play their game to get their mock acceptance.

Check out Unity or Unitarian Universalist churches in your area/close by if an option.
    Good luck!

7. Sarah2695

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am really sorry to hear about the situation! I am also a Christian lesbian. What makes it worse is that my father is a pastor in the Air Force. I wish I could tell you exactly what to do...but I haven't even figured it out for myself yet. Is there any possible way you could get out of going to the youth group? At least until this unit or discussion is finished? Do not be disheartened because of what the youth pastor is saying. He is just a homophobic male who doesn't understand what it means to be gay. Also, I hope for your sake that your roommate is really ugly and uninteresting.