1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure about having kids.. Does anyone feel this way at all?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Blossom85, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Blossom85

I have a two and a half year old niece and I really love her so much and I love spending time with her and being with her, but at the end of the day.. I love when she goes home to her mum and dad..

I am 29 and will be 30 in June next year and I don't have any desire to be a mother anytime soon.. I don't have that feeling that my biological clock is ticking at all kind of thing where you feel you have to have a baby for your life to be complete. I get really happy when I get to be with her and even just love when she snuggles on the lounge with me watching Minnie DVDs but it doesn't give me that feeling of .. "Ohh I just want one myself".

I don't know if it's just cause I am single and not found someone to share my life with or if it's just something I don't want.. Whenever people ask if I want kids, I always say yeah one day.. But I am really not sure if I do or not. I know it doesn't make me a bad person if I don't want one.. But I just don't know if this feeling will change when I find someone and I honestly don't want to mis-lead someone and say I want kids and then later on when we get serious, say I have change my mind on the subject.. Has anyone else ever felt this way? It is probably the only thing in my life at the moment I am unsure of at the moment and it bugs me that I might not want to have a beautiful little child like my niece. It's not even about work or a career, it's just I don't feel that desire like most women would feel. Is there something wrong with me for not wanting a baby, but just happy with being the Aunt?:icon_sad:

2. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

I don't want them either. I love kids, but I'm afraid that I'll repeat the pattern and fuck up their lives as badly as my Dad fucked up mine.

I've been hanging out with the new neighbor's kids, they are AWE-sum. :slight_smile:

3. Blossom85

Thanks, it's always good to know there are others who feel the same way. For me it isn't worrying that I will fuck up, just that I don't have that strong desire to have a child. I enjoy being an Aunt, and I might feel differently one day.. But right.. I just don't want to be a mother I think.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Honestly, It's better to not have kids if you're unsure, then have them and end up not giving the child the correct care. Not everyone has to be a mother

5. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For the longest time, I had been adamantly against having kids. Now I am not so sure. I'm slightly more open to the idea, but I'm not sure how it could all work out. Being preggo might give me some serious gender dysphoria. If I got pregnant, I wouldn't want my family to know at all. It may sound strange, but there are very nosy, old-fashioned and one of them abused me as a kid. I would be concerned about the baby's well being if they knew. They'd want to know everything about my "husband", but I don't have any intention of having a sexual relationship with a man. They'd flip if I was with a woman. I also have health issues that I would worried about my kid inheriting.

6. Blossom85

That is very true, I just feel really content being an Aunty at the moment, maybe one day it will change if I get involved with someone, but I just feel really content right now and you are right.. Not everyone has to be a mother, I just don't want regrets either.

7. thekillingmoon

I used to wonder about that too. I still can't picture myself being a parent, even if I was in a relationship with someone. I think you should be honest with any potential partners and say you're not sure you want kids and that there's chance you won't. I don't believe there's anything wrong with that either. There are people who like to say it is, but it's your life and it's none of their business whether you want to have kids or not.

8. Candide

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I decided long ago that I'm not having children. I have CFS, which could be passed on (that's not been proved or disproved) and I'd hate to think I wouldn't always have the physical energy to look after my child.
    Plus I just never saw myself as a mother. It's too big, too much. I like children, I like spending time with them, but I'm relieved to be childless at the end of the day!

9. QueenOrange

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I always said no kids then I ended up getting pregnant. My daughter turned out to be the best thing in my life. Would never regret having her. She brings me joy. But it takes a lot of responsibility and I put my life on hold for a while to dedicate it to her. Now she is old enough for me to really have a life again. I would do it again without a doubt

10. Blossom85

I agree, it is a very personal choice and it doesn't make me a bad person if I decide not to have them. I will make sure I am honest with any potential partners on this matter as it can certainly change everything and I don't want to lie or mis-lead someone either.

Thanks to you all for your replies, it's always good to know I'm not alone.. I'll just leave it for now, and not think on it too much.. People aren't pressuring me for a baby anyway cause I am single, so I'll leave it at unsure and might be able to get some more definite answers one day.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I knew at age 18 or so that I definitely didn't ever want kids. And I've never found cause to doubt that. The few times I've babysat in the intervening years, in fact, have strengthened that belief. :slight_smile:

Lex

12. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty iffy. I love kids but not until they're about 4. And I know that if I do ever have kids, I will not be the biological father. There's too much in my genes that I don't want to see passed on to my kid. Luckily I won't have to make that decision for a long time.

13. TheStormInside

When I was younger I thought I definitely didn't want kids. As I've gotten older I've kind of warmed to the idea some, but I'm still pretty uncertain, myself. I saw the intense desire that a friend had (who has since had an adorable little baby, to whom I am an "auntie" now and that's lovely :slight_smile: ), and it's not something I've felt myself, at least not yet. I don't know if that will change or not. I feel like it's possible that if I get a partner in the future their feelings may end up pushing me one way or the other. For now, though, I like kids, they're cute and fun, but I'm happy being independent and only having to worry about taking care of myself, which on is own can be hard enough at times :lol:.

I worry a lot about not being able to provide for a child, not necessarily financially (though that is an issue, too) but emotionally and socially. I feel a bit selfish at times and I don't know if I could give myself wholly over to another little being in that way. People say your feelings change when you have the child, though, so who knows, really. I still have a hard time caring for myself, for real though I joke, so I worry too that I may not be able to rise to the occasion when it comes to the constant needs of a child or infant.

#13 TheStormInside, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  14. Blossom85

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it..

@The storm inside... I feel very much like you do as well.

I guess another thing I would be worried about would be passing along my disability to my child as well, it is a gene related thing, so I obviously have the gene and could pass it onto my baby.. And my baby could have what I have or just could get the gene and then perhaps pass it along to their child.. So I guess in am really concerned about that. We had to go through a lot of testing when my sister became pregnant the first time to make sure she didn't have the gene, luckily she doesn't, but it is an issue for me.. I would love and support my child as much as my parents have done for me.. But I do worry about subjecting My own child to things that I have had to go through in my life, so in a way.. Not wanting children is my way of protecting a helpless litte baby from dealing with what I have had to..

I also have trouble with simple things like doing my hair which is why I keep it short enough to just brush and not worry about.. So I worry if I can't fully do things for myself.. How can I justify bringing a baby into the world where he or she is relying on me to take care of him or her.

Wow, it feels good to get that all out finally.. It's a hard thing to admit and hard thing to hold onto.. Being scared and feeling worried and stressed that something is going to go right.. I guess I don't want people to judge me on that cause I honestly would love my child exactly how they are, but growing up for me was never easy.. There was lots of hospital stays and doctors visits.. Even now.. I have regular doctor visits and treatments as I need them.. And as much love, care and support I got from my parents, sister and family and as much as I know I will love my child and support him or her as much, it's hard to think my baby might have to go through all the medical issues I had to go through.. All the hospital stays, all the visits to doctors, the frustration when you can't do something for yourself, asking for help for me has always been a big deal, cause I like to think I am independent.. It's heartbreaking to think my child might have to go through that.. It really is.. And I think that could be a big reason why don't want to have a baby of my own..

15. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 24, almost 25 and have 14 month old niece and I have the same feelings as you.

16. TheStormInside

I can understand your worry about passing on a difficult condition to a child. It doesn't mean you are uncaring or wouldn't love a child with a disability any less.. it seems like what you're saying is coming from a compassionate place where you would not want to see the child have to struggle. What if you were to adopt? Or, if you end up with a woman, she ended up carrying the child? Do you still feel ambivalent about having one then as well?

17. Blossom85

Thanks, I think that is what I am looking for, someone to,tell me that it doesn't make me any less caring or loving towards a child of my own whom might have a disability, so from that I really appreciate your words.. It means a lot.

I hadn't really thought of those options to be honest, so it is something I might have to think about a little more... Adopting a child whom is already in this world and needs love and attention could be something that I would consider possibly in the future and that is something that could be discussed with a future female partner as well wether she would be willing to carry a child or if we would wanna adopt.. It is all things to think of but realizing there is options out there makes me feel hopeful as well.

18. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Blossom ,you would be as good of a Mom as you are a of a friend. Trust yourself, and if it becomes the right thing, you will do a great job. :slight_smile: There are lovely kids that need someone, and someone as AWE-sum as you will raise AWE-sum kids. :slight_smile:

19. Windy Day

Windy Day Guest

I've never felt as if I wanted children.
    I believe this is a personal preference and there is nothing wrong with it. I have two beautiful nieces whom I adore and no one has ever told me I'm lacking in maternal feeling. But for myself, it's just the way it is, much as my family refuses to hear a word of it :slight_smile:
    I think being open about the option is great, only because you never know where life will take you. But I understand (or at least I think I do a little bit) how you feel on this one.

20. Blossom85

Awe thanks Hun, I really appreciate your kind words, it means a lot to me. (*hug*)

---------- Post added 30th Sep 2014 at 11:16 PM ----------

Thanks Hun, it is good to know I'm not alone here in feeling this way.. It makes me feel a little better after reading all these wonderful replies, so that you to everyone who has taken the time to read and reply, you have really reassured me and made me feel a bit better. (*hug*)(&&&)