1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My school is starting a GSA...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ChameleonSoul, Sep 30, 2014.

1. ChameleonSoul

Today at school, I happened to learn that our school is reviving the GSA that broke apart two years ago. I've been thinking about trying to find more LGBT friends in person and make some more friends, so I figured that it'd be a great idea for me to join it. However, it's occurred to me that if I am out at this meeting, other people in the school may find out about my sexual orientation that would probably harass me (as they've done to others that are perceived to be LGBT).

Should I attend the GSA meeting? And if I do, should I be out from the start? Are there any confidentiality policies that anyone knows about that would be beneficial in my case?

The first meeting is this Friday, so any help that people could provide would be helpful.

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe that GSA's have to keep the sexuality of members private unless said member is out, and I believe the things said in meetings is confidential.

I'd say go for it, but only if you feel it's the right thing to do. :slight_smile:

3. ChameleonSoul

I've been thinking it over today and decided that it'd be best for me to take a risk and show up at the meeting on Friday. I'm just still deciding whether I'll be out or not from the beginning. Obviously people will be supportive and will probably be discreet, but a healthy dose of paranoia never hurt anyone. Does anyone here know what occurs at a GSA meeting, especially at the first meeting? I guess what I'm looking for more than anything is moral support from the people of EC!

4. Otaku2014

Ah the first GSA meeting

It is an amazing experience, no one judges you for being there since most are there for the same reason.

As for the coming out, i was comfortable enough to come out at my first GSA meeting, but it is up to you if you come out or not.

In my experience, you can be 100% comfortable being different.

As i said i came out as transgender and pansexual.

Hope it helped

~Josi~

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aww that's awesome your going to go to one my school a GSA club i don't think ok join it but im happy for you you're joining one :thumbsup:

6. ChameleonSoul

Update:

So after school I went to the GSA meeting, and honestly, I don't think it could've gone any better! Since its homecoming weekend, there were only a few people that could make it to the first meeting. There were four other people there, two of whom were also gay, making it just small enough for me to be myself around. The next meeting might be a different story, but for now, I have a few more people to turn to. We made up some guidelines, including a few about confidentiality. We also decided some of the things we plan on doing over the course of the year and are also thinking of doing a carpooling system to allow people with homophobic families to go to the nearby LGBT center. I think the best part of it though was that I got a rainbow bracelet! I know, it's seems like such a small thing, but it's good to have something to show who I am, even if I have to smuggle it on my person and keep it in my locker at night!

7. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Glad it went well for you (*hug*)(*hug*)

8. Otaku2014

Congrats man

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cool! ^.^ I love my school's GSA. ♥

10. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey that's great! I'm glad everything went well for you!

11. Pluie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That sounds great, I hope it keeps going well for you! My school is really small and my girlfriend is the only person who's out, so we don't have a GSA. I'm quite jealous :slight_smile:

12. CornerSign

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Awesome dude! I'm in a similar situation, my school just revived their GSA, although no one is out (except 2 teachers). Our school's really small though, and if I went pretty much everyone would know (and it would obvious I'm not straight because I've never attended any club meeting of any kind) and I'm not really ready to be out. But yeah, happy for ya!