1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social group vs support group?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CrazyAwkward, Sep 30, 2014.

1. CrazyAwkward

I don't get out much. I go to work, I go back home. That's basically it. I'm extremely introverted, so lots of alone time doesn't bother me much. But over the past year I've discovered I need a bit more human contact. I'd like to get out more, but I have no one to go out with. I've done some digging and there doesn't seem to be any LGBT groups in my area, and the only other social groups are geared toward people much older than me. And while EC is great and I'm so glad I came back here (and I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon), I'm thinking of looking for something LGBT related within reasonable travel distance where I can connect with people in person. Before I haul myself off somewhere though I'd like to have a better idea of what sort of group would be best for me. And I honestly have no clue.

On one hand, I'm really not 100% comfortable being out yet. I think I might feel out of place around people who are 100% comfortable, and that would make the usual anxiety I get around new people skyrocket. So maybe that's not the best option. Or maybe that's just anxiety talking and I'd be fine after a little while.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if a support group is right either. I accepted myself a long time ago. I do feel a little (sometimes more than a little) uncomfortable telling people I'm gay, but that's another social anxiety thing. I can still bring myself to do it. Usually. But maybe a support group would help me improve at that a little? Or would it just be for people looking for help accepting their sexuality? Are there different types of support groups? I have no idea, so it's hard to say if a group like that would work for me either.

Any info or advice would be a big help :slight_smile:

2. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

I do think a support group would be a good idea to try, even once or twice. I don't know what all the types of groups are, but Somepony will, I'm sure.

3. Ophelia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know how helpful this will be, but have you tried to find a group from a place like meetup that shares an interest of yours and just happens to be LGBT? I am kind of introverted too, not to mention that I think I would feel bad going to a group for LGBT people when I am "just" bisexual. I know. It's something I'm dealing with.
    But there are tons of groups near some of the big cities like "LGBT Hiking, LGBT Book Club, LGBT Cooking", but I do always kind of wonder if they are for dating or not.

---------- Post added 30th Sep 2014 at 10:37 PM ----------

*I meant dealing with thinking of bisexual as a "just".

#3 Ophelia, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  4. CrazyAwkward

Awww the B in LGBT is there for a reason :slight_smile: You're just as much part of the community as anyone else (*hug*)

I live pretty far away from the city, but I did look into it a little. A lot of the meetups I've come across mainly seem to center around bars and drinking or other late night things that I wouldn't be able to get to due to travel reasons. All the others seem to be for dating or have become inactive, unfortunately. And the the only somewhat local one I found is just a flag football group. That ain't my thing at all. But I'll keep looking. I might stumble across something one of these days.

Although the more I think about it I doubt I'd feel comfortable even if I did find something.

#4 CrazyAwkward, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  5. Ophelia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you :slight_smile:

I know what you mean though, I don't think there's really a group that I would feel comfortable in either, even putting aside my earlier comment.
    We should start a "Socially Awkward, Partially Closeted, LGBT People Who Want Marceline and Bubblegum to Get Back Together" group. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. CrazyAwkward

Haha yeah! That would be the best thing ever. But I suppose I should focus more on support groups. At least there would most likely be a mutual sense of awkwardness there. I assume so anyway.

7. Ophelia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let me know what it's like if you go to one, maybe that'll inspire me to try to find one too. :slight_smile: or confirm my suspicions that it would be waaay too uncomfortable.

8. CrazyAwkward

I'll definitely share my experience if I ever go. But I'm very hesitant to go without knowing what to expect.