1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job hunting advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by stocking, Oct 1, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm looking for a new job ,but it seems like I'm having trouble finding one .
    I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or not trying hard enough , but this is what I usually do
    I would either go to a store ask for an application or apply online .Then I would get the store's number ,and inform them that I put an application so far I just got one interview . But the others told me they have no positions , I almost feel like giving up but my current job is not safe .
    Is there something i'm doing wrong it's been months since I've been looking and I have not landed a new job yet ?.:icon_sad:

2. Really

What type of job are you looking for?

I see you've said "store". Is there a particular industry you'd like to get into? Or field of work?

I have a job finding method that I can share but it will take a couple of days to write out properly. It's geared to looking on the internet.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sometimes it can take a while to get a job. If you have gotten an interview, this means that the potential employer who interviewed you liked something on your application. What I would suggest is that you try applying to similar positions, and make sure that you tailor your resume to the position(s) you are applying to.

To how many jobs per week do you apply (on average)?

Do you have a friend or do you know somebody who is working in a store, or a place where you would like to work, and could put in a word for you or provide you with a referal?

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm looking for retail mostly supermarket .

---------- Post added 1st Oct 2014 at 07:35 PM ----------

Not at the moment .

5. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay. Have you tried speaking with some of the employees in some of the stores you would like to work for?

When you apply to a position either in person or online, do you also submit a resume with your application?

6. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Persistence is key. I think you're doing the right things, but it can just take a while sometimes. It depends on the time of year, the local economic changes, and stuff like that. The only advice I can give is to keep trying and don't give up. Good luck! I hope you find the job that you want. Sorry that I wasn't able to be very helpful.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No I haven't talked to any of them it always seems like their in a hurry .
    Yes I submit a Resume but only online not in person .

---------- Post added 1st Oct 2014 at 07:52 PM ----------

I think your advice is good because I felt like giving up and I'm going to keep trying .

8. CrazyAwkward

I doubt you're doing anything wrong. I see you're from New England. I'm in that area too and from what I've heard jobs are just ridiculously hard to find around here right now. It sucks, but the only thing you can do is keep at it no matter how frustrating it gets. You'll find something. Just don't give up :slight_smile:

9. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ask one or two people, if they would be willing to spare a couple of minutes to talk with you about the store, and what some of their positions look like or what some of the responsibilities are. Showing interest and doing a bit of 'homework' on the different stores can go a long way in getting in.

You have found part of the answer to why you haven't gotten any responses. Submit a resume with every application that you fill out/submit, and make sure that it is not a generic resume (i.e. do not submit the same resume to every store you are applying to. The chances are that it will not give you the results you are looking for).

Remember, you are applying to highly competitive positions. A general application form might not give you the opportunity to stand out among the other applicants. A well written, and tailored resume, will.

Every employer, when looking for who they would like to interview or hire, asks themselves:
    Why should I interview and hire this applicant over another?
    What makes them better than somebody else?

In other words, use your resume to convey why you are the best person for the position/employment opportunity you are applying to. When you submit the application with your resume in person, and as part of your introduction, tell them why you are applying to the position(s) you are. :slight_smile:

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    what should I do to make my resume look better , how do I change it up ?:confused:

11. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What are you mentioning on your resume at the moment?

When you read through a job posting, do you feel that your resume conveys the skills you have for a position you are applying to adequately? What does your current job look like? What do you do?

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well to be honest , my resume looks like I'm lowering my standards . :icon_sad:
    I've never worked in a store except my current job .

13. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

It's weird that we have to jump through all these hoops for min wage jobs lol..... ahhhh

An obvious tip but on the "how long do you plan on working" part of online resumes make it sound like you are there forever. FOREVER. You are going to DIE with this company with your DREAM POSITION of ASSISTANT MANAGER (never manager, you don't want them to think you're gonna steal their job)

I know it's obvious but I didn't know this and was always honest (1-5 years) but now I know you have to LIEEEEEEEEEEEE

14. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you feel that you can apply for positions that are higher than your average entry level positions, have you tried applying to those? (that is if I understand you correctly)

Start with your current job then. Take note of your responsibilities and skills that you are using at the moment. The skills you are using at the moment, and those that are related or useful for another position/job become your transferable skills.

Your transferable skills could be for example: customer service skills, interpersonal skills, time management and organizational skills, being able to work under pressure or in stressful situations, being able to do calculations, being able to provide information, etc... Concentrate on those skills when you try to write your resume so that you match the skills you have, and have used, to the skills that a potential employer is looking for.

If you were asked which skills have you used on your current job? Which ones would you list?

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    customer service skills , organizational skills , I can work under pressure .

16. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Start with these skills then. You have customer service skills... would you say that you have provided professional and friendly customer service? If so, say that on your resume.

In addition, have you provided information, helped customers to find merchandise, or made recommendations on purchases? If you have, mention that as part of your customer service skills as well.

Having organizational skills is good! Could you elaborate on that? Can you give an example of how you have used your organizational skills? Similarly for working under pressure?

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've done those i help costumers with items all the time , I've helped a few with dinner suggestions and I help this lady by the right tool to do piping on her cake . Her daughter loved it she came and thanked me the next day :icon_bigg.

Well it's nothing special but I organize the products on the shelves , to make them look nice.

18. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have an example of providing customer service, and making a valuable recommendation right here!

In your resume skills' section or Highlights of Qualifications section you could explain your skills and experiences in the following way:
    • Made recommendation to customers on their purchases such as for cake decoration tools thus addressing customers' needs and ensuring customers' satisfaction with their purchase
    • Provided information on merchandise, and helped customers to locate products or the items they were seeking

Now, when you provide customer service and information on products/merchandise, you also engage in continuous learning. So you could include right under the point mentioned above:

• Engaged in continuous learning on existing stock and new products on the sales floor, while organizing products on shelves

• Utilized well developed presentation skills when organizing products on shelves or on display units making it easier for customers to find products

While it might be nothing special, it is related to providing customer service and knowing the products/merchandise.

19. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I honestly didn't know I could put that stuff in there man you learn something new everyday .:confused:

20. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, you can include all that on your resume. This is the reason why I have asked you about your skills, and what you have done or are doing. :slight_smile:

You want to make sure that your resume highlights the skills that an employer is looking for. Due to space constraints (say for example if your resume is a page long) you won't be able to provide a lot of details, but you should provide one or two examples with the most important skills, giving the potential employer an opportunity to imagine you working in the position you are applying for.

When you explain your examples, make also sure to be succinct and use key words from the job posting so that when a potential employer is scanning your resume, they can see that you fulfill what they are looking for.

For example, you could also mention some of the skills in the following way:
    • Recommended products to customers after assessing their needs and wants
    • Provided merchandise information, and helped customer to locate merchandise
    • Engaged in continuous learning, thus ensuring that customers are provided with up to date information
    • Utilized well developed presentation skills in organizing and displaying merchandise on the shelves

As for the 'results' ... it can be anything. It can be "helped 'X number' of customers;" "ensuring that customers' needs are met" or the very fact that you have received positive feedback as a result of the service you have provided. Again, due to space constraints you won't be able to provide a result for every skill you have used to complete a responsibility/duty but try to provide one or two results - just enough to start providing a picture of what you have done and accomplished.

In addition, try to make it personal. Do you like providing customer service? If you do, mention it. Give them the reason as to why you like providing customer service.

This is how a potential employer can see that you are a good fit for a position that they want to fill, and you give them a reason to invite you to an interview. :slight_smile: