1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Counselling?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by isolatedcrystal, Oct 1, 2014.

1. isolatedcrystal

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    First of all I'd like to say hi. I'm new to this.

Well, I just sent my principal an e-mail asking what time and how do I get counselling, and if they tell my parents. I'm still awaiting the email.

But, when I get there, how do I break it to him/her? What do I say? Is counselling is even a good idea in the first place?

I go to a catholic/public school in Canada. :help:
    Thanks. :icon_bigg

(sorry if I put this on the wrong category)

2. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello and welcome!
    Personally, I have found that counselling has been very helpful. Just remember that if you don't feel comfortable that you are in control and can stop at any time or ask for another counselor. I hope you find the support that you need.

I've never been to a catholic school so I don't know what to expect of the counselors there, but, in my experience, therapists and counselors generally leave their own personal opinions at the door and do their best to provide a safe and supportive environment for the people who are there to see them. I hope that helps you feel more comfortable about this. I think being honest and specific is the best way to go when trying to express this type of thing to a counselor, because then there's no way for them to misunderstand. That said, it is very personal so it's hard to be specific because it feels like giving someone else a very fragile part of yourself which is hard. My advice would be to take it as slow or fast as you need to go to get the information out. There is no "normal" pace when it comes to emotions so don't try to force yourself to be too open if you're still not ready emotionally. We're all here for you and I am sure that others here on the site have better advice than I can give.

I think you are very strong and brave for deciding to see a counselor.

3. P25

P25 Guest

You are brave I agree. I went to Catholic school my entire life. I know how things go there and what a lot of people's opinions are on same sex couples. I fell in love with my best friend in high school and bc I did not seek out any help from a therapist or a counselor to talk about what I was feeling I feel I missed an opportunity to be with someone I loved and regret it to this day. She would have been my first relationship and growing up Catholic God forbid I be in a relationship that had no chance of producing marriage and children (back years ago). I was the good Catholic girl and got married, waited until marriage to have sex and then had two children. I regret not taking the chance to this day and it haunts me. I did not like my high school counselor at all. She was very judgmental and although I never came out to her...we had a small school, she knew both myself and my best friend and assumed things. She made me feel awful about the entire situation by implying things. Point being, if you feel comfortable talking to ur school counselor then please do so. If not maybe you could speak to your parents about seeking outside help bc ur stressed an feel overwhelmed-this way you don't necessarily have to tell them you are going to sort out your feelings. Good luck :slight_smile: You took the first step to begin ur journey of self discovery...keep going!

4. black-cat

You are very brave and you are doing a great thing by seeking help. Well done!

My mum is a counsellor, and I truly believe it is incredible the way it can help you in your life. It's a very good idea! Remember, if you don't like the counsellor, you can ask for another one. A great place to start of is by introducing yourself, for example "My name is _____, I'm in grade __ and I have come to you because __________. I was wondering if you could help me?" - that sorta thing.

Generally counsellors don't tell anyone (including your parents) anything unless you are a harm to yourself or others. For example, if you self harm, you think about suicide, or want/ have hurt someone else, stalk them, etc.... But I'm not sure if the school informs your parents when you start therapy.

Good luck, what you are doing is really great. Well done. :slight_smile: